FAO Toddyjoe re: hard drive

kershawh

Hi

Many thanks for your reply I found it most helpful.
I have managed to source the following HD. Do you think that this will be suitable:-Quantum Fireball (IDE) ST 43A2F1 (4.3 gig) - can you recommend a hard drive up to 8 GB that would be suitable for this machine.

Oh! by the way do I have to watch out for static when installing.

Regards

Last edited:
Yes, watch out for static with all hard drives. I do not use a static-protection strap like some when changing hard drives, but I do take precautions not to work on them in a static-prone environment.

I would GUESS that the drive you found will work in the Fostex as many of the Quantum Fireball models were listed in the manual for my DMT-8VL. I do not have any particular recommendation for an 8 gig drive as I have not tried one that big in mine yet. Sorry!

What make of hard drive

So what brands/size have you used successfully.
I'm just trying to establish what makes of hard drive will function properly in the 8VL before I make my purchase.

I have owned mine for a few years and I do not recall all the different drives I have tried. The ones I recently formatted included older 40-pin IDE drives from Seagate, Western Digital, and Quantum. To be completely frank, every single IDE drive I have tried thus far in my DMT-8VL has worked and formatted without a problem, so I am not sure if the machine is actually that picky. I have not tried any IDE drives above 5 gigs, however.

I forgot, I have also used Maxtor drives with my Fostex without problems.

For your information, I checked the Fostex manual last night and it comments that the Fostex will accept any ATA (IDE) drives from the manufacturers listed as examples in the manual (Quantum, Maxtor, Western Digital, IBM) as long as the drive is bigger than 500 MB and 5,400 rpm and faster.

Once again many thanks for your invaluable information. I now feel a little more confident with buying and installing a replacement hard drive in my 8VL.

Best regards and have a cool Christmas.

Harry

Back