Famous Singers and their Mics

Okay, Garrison Keillor is not a singer, but I DID find a shot of him in the studio using an EV RE27N/D. That is more impressive than Rush Limbaugh's gold-plated EV RE20...Rush sounds like he is on AM even when he is on FM.

By the way, I don't listen to Rush Limbaugh...a fellow I go to lunch with has Rush permanently on his radio.

Its like everyone denies listening to him...I remeber when I was little and he was the voice of the KC royals...

LOL! I don't listen to Glenn Beck either, but I've read that he uses a Blue (looks like a Bottle).

Yes...a $20,000 mic...and its never pointed in his direction...you are supposed to speak into the flat side...the round side is the rear of the capsule...but Im sure its just for show...

Yes...a $20,000 mic...and its never pointed in his direction...you are supposed to speak into the flat side...the round side is the rear of the capsule...but Im sure its just for show...
The mic on Dave Letterman's desk was supposedly a Heil PR40 but oriented like a side address mic. Just a prop.

Letterman..... Black band around bottom of lower body, screws to retain lower body to top lends more of a similarity to >>THIS<<

Interesting thread, but I really don't care who uses what in terms of what it means for my music. I sang through 2k mics and sounded awful and an $80 mic and sounded best i could.

Could be totally wrong, but i feel like the guys making great records don't look up what their idols use. They just use what they either ran into and like or can afford. Unless you sound exactly like frank sinatra or julian casabalances or anyone else then what mic they use really doesn't matter.

There seems to be an idea that if you use the gear your idols use you'll sound like them but it doesn't work like that at all.

Good thing you're here to dispel that myth nola cause we were all convinced an elecret on a stick would make us sound like bob barker. ;)

Interesting thread, but I really don't care who uses what in terms of what it means for my music. I sang through 2k mics and sounded awful and an $80 mic and sounded best i could.

Could be totally wrong, but i feel like the guys making great records don't look up what their idols use. They just use what they either ran into and like or can afford. Unless you sound exactly like frank sinatra or julian casabalances or anyone else then what mic they use really doesn't matter.

There seems to be an idea that if you use the gear your idols use you'll sound like them but it doesn't work like that at all.

You'll see the same thread on any guitar forum as well.

And I can sound just like Slash with a Mogami guitar cable!!!! :D :facepalm:

Attachments

• mogami.jpg
    mogami.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 2
And I can sound just like Slash with a Mogami guitar cable!!!! :D :facepalm:

That's funny, but think how many people bought les pauls thinking they would sound like Slash. My best friend did just that. I was like, dude, no, you have to practice like 2,000 hrs not buy a les paul. Of course he rarely practiced and just sounds like a bad guitarist on a les paul.

Not sure what you are dispelling here. Nobody would be dumb enough to think if you get a U47 you're going to turn into Frank Sinatra (or whatever mic he used). The mic doesn't do the singing.

I think the list is interesting. A couple reasons: Maybe some of us don't have the $$$ to go out and buy them all but we need mics for certain applications. This may point us to which ones we should try first if there is limited time to test a mic - such as at the store. It might also help save time in terms of which mics to try at home. For me, I had a woman with a relatively deep voice come over one day and I tried an AT4040. That didn't sound good so I ended up using an SM58 with decent results. But actually her voice is very similar in range and timbre as Bonnie Raitt's, so maybe I should have tried my RE20. Had I seen this thread at that time I may have. As it happens I didn't. Next time she comes over I'll give the RE20 a shot.

I might be wrong, but aren't the old mics engineered, developed, and manufactured in Germany way back when, the most expensive? If so, those old Germans sure knew how to build things. Don Henly had a video back in the 80's that starred, Kirk Douglas, who played the devil/satan. Can't remember the song, but anyway Kirk as satan says about BMW's,"Those Bavarians certainly know how to build a automobile." LOL. In Nashville several years ago several singers bought all he old mics available from various studios because I guess they knew that they would only go up in value. Vince Gill and Ricky Skaggs are two that come to mind. I suppose they may also have thought that perhaps they got different results from different mics and mixed and matched them to the song and situation. I've sang through expensive mics, but because I have a shit voice I found that I sounnded better through a sm57 than through the expensive mics. Which proves two things:1. Only people who can really sing need to bother with expensive mics. 2.You can't polish a turd! LOL. If you don't have a great voice using an expensive mic isn't going to make you sound like Pavorotti! I watched a documentary on Jaco Pastorious the other night and learned that his father was a singer back when Frank Sinatra was in his hey day. It played a little bit of his Dad singing and the guy could really sing. I couldn't sing in that style, but I wonder if Frank and those guys could sing rock'n'roll? I don't know if they could do it convincingly or not. He'd probalbly still sound like Frank. Just Frank singing rock'n'roll! LOL.

Last edited:
I think what's surprising is how many great singers use/used less expensive mics. And it may not be that you have a bad voice, different mics flatter different voices and sometimes those mics happen to be less expensive. If it fits you and it's also affordable you are a very lucky person haha. My wife has a nice voice and she uses an sm57 for some songs, sometimes it just works better than the more expensive options.

Back