Falling Slowly in Dublin with youtube video

glomu

Falling slowly in Dublin

This is a my own version of the song 'Falling Slowly' originally by Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova (from the movie Once), here performed by Kasia (Poland), Christof (Germany) and myself.

Recording of the song and the "videoclip" took place in Dublin, March - May 2010.

Kasia: voice and violins and enjoying Dublin parks
Christof: voice and showing around Dublin
myself: piano, guitar, recording & mixing and the leprechaun on Grafton street

Thank you for giving it a listen.

Excellent! Love the music and the vocals. (Surprisingly good for Youtube) Video is great to watch too.

thank you for the comment.

I am not too proud of the video, this was done just for fun in two days. The recording / mixing took longer :-)

Nice recording. Voices are great. Piano is great. Acoustic guitar is a little thin, and has some weird honkiness in a couple places, and i might pull it up a little bit to compare to piano (but that's being very picky, and may be just the way it sits in the mix). Violin is very nice too. Everything is clear and distinct even when working together.

I like it a lot. Nice mix sounds really pro.

Thank you aaronmcoleman, very nice of you.

I do agree about the guitar, this is something that I hear more in the compressed youtube version than in the uncompressed wav.

Still, there is a reason behind the honkiness, the guitar was recorded only with the built in pickup because of hurry, time limitations and lack of experience. Today, I would most likely do this a very little bit differently, probably mixing in 1-2 mics. I have tried to use a tube preamp to compensate this, but as said, i agree, it is fairly visible in the youtube mix.

Thank you for giving it a listen.

anybody else giving a listen to this melody on a saturday morning / afternoon, depending on your time zone :o

This sounded very clear and full especially for a youtube clip. I was getting just a bit too much sibilance on the vocals here, but that could be my set up or youtube or whatever. I don't know the original and therefore can't compare, but I thought you did well overall with the performances and the recording.

What is going on at 1:12?? That just looks wrong...

From 1:10 you see a typical street artist peforming in front of St. Stephen's Green shopping centre, right at the end of Grafton street, Dublin's best known shopping street. There is always somebody doing something that will make people stop, like this guy doing magic tricks and swallowing a balloon

Dublin looks very nice by the way...similar to the Old Port section here in Portland Maine, only undoubtably much bigger and probably nicer!

Anyway, I was joking about the street performer...it's just the shape of the balloon, and....never mind. Sorry.

By sibilance I meant excessive or exaggerated "S" sounds.

i have to agree about the S sounds, though again, this is something that is very visible in the compressed youtube version, and fairly transparent in the wav version.

The vox are pitchy The harms at 230 - ouch. Again at 244. Something needs a fixing. I did't watch the video.

Dublin looks very nice by the way...similar to the Old Port section here in Portland Maine, only undoubtably much bigger and probably nicer!

Anyway, I was joking about the street performer...it's just the shape of the balloon, and....never mind. Sorry.

By sibilance I meant excessive or exaggerated "S" sounds.

Dublin is best described as a cross between Portland, Maine and Boston, Mass. It's a wonderful town full of some of the nicest people on the planet. My daughter got her masters from Smurfit School of Business in Blackrock and lived in Ballsbridge for 4 years up until the recession took her accounting job in Dublin and forced her to return to the U.S. last year. We visited for a few weeks a couple years back and took a drive out to Achill Is. in the northwest corner for a few days. Gorgeous area.

My daughter's college roommate married an Irish lad by the name of Eoghan Ryan, who plays in a Dublin band called "The Wicked Few". She's headed back over for a month's visit in a few weeks. Last time there (for the wedding), she worked alongside one of the top Irish TV chefs at the hotel the reception was held, and he offered her a job -- but the money wasn't right.

Beautiful job on the video ... it was nice seeing St. Stephen's Green (if I'm correct?) and other familiar places -- and though the recording isn't as polished as the original (which is one of my all time favorite tunes btw ...), there's a certain charm to that.

Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Best,

Kev-

Nice video, I like the part where the girl is playing violin to the river. Fits the tone of the song. I can't add anything new to the comments already made about the mix. You tackled the YouTube compression well. I'm wondering if acoustic songs fair better through the process than full-on rock songs. No crashing cymbals or sizzling hihats to get garbled.

Thanks for sharing.

thank you for the comments guys, I really appreciate your thoughts. Also, nice to hear the background story K-dub, I do agree with you, nothing comes close to the original, but that never should be a purpose, we all agree. What is the point in replicating something 'as is', right?

As a little background info, this was recorded partly in my living room (guitar piano), partly in an office with almost nothing help shaping the sounds of the live recording. The room had all plasterboard walls, you can image :-/ None of the singers are real, professional singers, we are just a bunch of friends, still, I think the violin solo is quite good, if not in recording quality, then in the feeling to it. I still enjoy listening to it, makes the hair stand up on my arm

thank you all once again for listening to it, I learned a lot from your comments.

Back