"Fallin'"

Mix wise this sounds inferior to some of your other songs I've listened to. It's not that mix is bad just Everything sounds DI ish small and dry if that makes sense and in general lacks cohesion/glue. Vocal pitch in multiple spots could take a look. Production/tech nerd stuff aside I like the song

Mix wise this sounds inferior to some of your other songs I've listened to. It's not that mix is bad just Everything sounds DI ish small and dry if that makes sense and in general lacks cohesion/glue. Vocal pitch in multiple spots could take a look. Production/tech nerd stuff aside I like the song
Good thoughts. Thanks for the comment!

I like the song. I like the guitar parts and how they play off of each other. Nice harmonies.

The guitar on the right sounds especially nice.

There are some effects on the vocal so I can't be sure - but it sounds like that paper-towel-tube vocal problem is gone.

It took me a while, but I decided I didn't care for the bass tone. It might OK if it were a little lower in the mix and had the attack tamed. Maybe put on a compressor with 0 attack and turn that down a couple of dbs.

The guitar on the left has a bit too much gain for me - but that's a real personal preference thing.

Lead guitar tone sounds awesome. Drums (I assume are fake) sound awesome too.

I like the song. I like the guitar parts and how they play off of each other. Nice harmonies.

The guitar on the right sounds especially nice.

There are some effects on the vocal so I can't be sure - but it sounds like that paper-towel-tube vocal problem is gone.

It took me a while, but I decided I didn't care for the bass tone. It might OK if it were a little lower in the mix and had the attack tamed. Maybe put on a compressor with 0 attack and turn that down a couple of dbs.

The guitar on the left has a bit too much gain for me - but that's a real personal preference thing.

Lead guitar tone sounds awesome. Drums (I assume are fake) sound awesome too.
Actually, bud, the lead vocal was recorded live at the guitarist's home during the recording. Interesting you found that the tube effect disappeared. The effect is slight phase and delay.

I'm trying to get over my 70s lean towards bass - where it is not prominent. Still working on that.

I've not done any extra effect on the far left git. It is as it was recorded by the guitarist himself. The lead tone has same hands off treatment.

The drums are live on a Roland edrum T9 kit - also owned by the guitarist.

So nice to hear from you. Hope all is well.

Actually, bud, the lead vocal was recorded live at the guitarist's home during the recording. Interesting you found that the tube effect disappeared. The effect is slight phase and delay.
So do you think the paper-towel effect might be caused by the location in which you were recording? Or maybe the mic?

And yeah things are good here. Hope you're well too.

So do you think the paper-towel effect might be caused by the location in which you were recording? Or maybe the mic?

And yeah things are good here. Hope you're well too.
This vocal was recorded live with me sitting in a closet full of clothes on headphones - using the guitarist's mics. So yes, everything was recorded differently.

I like the sound of the bass, but I don't. Nice a full, sounds good, but there is something not working.

I don't look for a "live" sound. I like produced music and this sounds pretty good. I think the vocals are good enough and important enough to push up or isolate better so they stand out. I think getting that bass sorted (couldn't tell you how), and give the vocals some space, I think you have a great produced tune.

I like the sound of the bass, but I don't. Nice a full, sounds good, but there is something not working.

I don't look for a "live" sound. I like produced music and this sounds pretty good. I think the vocals are good enough and important enough to push up or isolate better so they stand out. I think getting that bass sorted (couldn't tell you how), and give the vocals some space, I think you have a great produced tune.
That's two on the bass sound. I will add some "amp" sounds on a duped track and see if it improves it. I admit that it does sound direct as is. The complaint was totally valid.

I'm assuming you're referring to the background vocals. I'm in agreement there as well. I'd just finished them up and then mixed - so I may have been a bit hyper-sensitive to them sticking out. Thanks for the thoughts, bud!

I like the fact that you tried going out of the box, rather than playing it safe with "conventional" sounds. I'm not crazy about some of the sounds, but all together, it seems to work. I don't like the drum sound, and it seems to get lost in parts, like the chorus. The drums sound electronic. They might not be, they sound like an old set of "Simmons" drums (remember those?) :D.

Vocals sound great to me. I like the bass sound in the break down, but I don't like it in the rest of the song. It's the right sound for that break. In fact, I'd put even MORE lo-fi distortion on it for the break.

Your stuff is always top notch. So, I think most of the "criticism" (suggestions) coming from me and others is just a result of high expectations.

Bass a bit too trebly. Probably what you going for, but maybe a tad too much. Chorus is catchy.

The instruments all sound ok, but they don't all seem like they're all playing in the same room. I think they could all be brought closer together (vocal too),.

These are nits, overall all quite good. :thumbs up:

Back