fading out the whole mix

v6v6v6

i use guitar tracks pro 2 and i'm wondering if there's a way to fade out a song aside from having to individually fade out each sound clip using the volume envelope. your help is appreciated.

I haven't used GTPro 2 in quite a while, can't you put a volume envelope on the master fader?

If not, you could run the mixdown without the fadeout, then import the mixdown into a new session and use a volume envelope on the channel fader to do the fade.

v6v6v6 said:
ok, i'm not sure i understand how this would work. and how does one put a volume envelope on the fader (volume)?
Actually you put the volume envelope on the Track or the Master Bus. The envelope will then control the fader.

Or were you asking for specific directions on how to do this?

perhaps i'm not understanding the terminology... i'm still new to all this. :(

fader = volume slider that you pull up/down
bus = ??
channel = track (of which any number of sound clips may be contained)

i know how to put a volume envelope on a sound clip, but when strryder says
volume envelope on the channel fader
does this mean i can put a volume envelope on the track's volume slider? or maybe you put one on an entire track (as opposed to a sound clip)?

thanks.

v6v6v6 said:
perhaps i'm not understanding the terminology... i'm still new to all this. :(

fader = volume slider that you pull up/down
bus = ??
channel = track (of which any number of sound clips may be contained)

i know how to put a volume envelope on a sound clip, but when strryder says does this mean i can put a volume envelope on the track's volume slider? or maybe you put one on an entire track (as opposed to a sound clip)?

thanks.
I am not familiar with GT2, but most Cakewalk programs allow you to create clip volume envelopes and/or Track volume envelopes. A track volume envelope runs the entire length of the track (usually beginning of the song to the end) and it will allow for automation of the volume of that track. (When someone refers to fader they are talking about the slider that controls the volume. "Pull down the track fader," would mean to decrease the volume of the track.)

A Bus is an area where Tracks are summed. Every project will ultimately have a Master Bus where everything is summed together and represents the final output of the song. Cakewalk (or at least Sonar) allows you to put a volume envelope on these Busses. If you want to fade out a song, putting a volume envelope on the Master Bus would normally be the best approach. You create a "node" (a point on the envelope) where you want the fade to begin. Then create a second node at the end of the song. Then pull the second node down to zero. This will create a diagonal line representing a gradual decrease in volume starting at the first node, and ending in silence at the second node.

dachay2tnr, thanks for the explanation. as far as i can tell, GT2 doesn't have the ability to place a volume envelope on a track or master fader. :( i guess it's a minor inconvenience that i can live with for now.

v6v6v6 said:
...as far as i can tell, GT2 doesn't have the ability to place a volume envelope on a track or master fader. :(
Oops. The things we take for granted.. :o
How about a plan B? If the facilities are there to play and output the mix while recording a loop of the signal back in to a new stereo track, could you do the fade manually?
Wayne

v6v6v6 said:
dachay2tnr, thanks for the explanation. as far as i can tell, GT2 doesn't have the ability to place a volume envelope on a track or master fader. :( i guess it's a minor inconvenience that i can live with for now.
Don't know GT, but Cakewalk's site says one of the key features (of the latest version though - but wouldn't think this would be newly-added) is "Accurate envelope automation of mix parameters and effects". If they don't consider Volume a mix parameter, I don't know what they think that means. Anyway, you say putting the envelope on a "fader", so I just want to double check that you're trying to add the envelope the right way. Did you check the help on it? In SONAR, (and from the screen shots of GT on Cakewalk's site, they look similar) you create a volume envelope by right-clicking in the track where you see the waveform and selecting Envelopes->Create Track Envelope. Then, Volume is one of the choices of Envelopes to create. Do you not have this option when right-clicking? Another way of doing it is to right-click on the volume fader itself and select Arm for Automation. Then, instead of drawing an envelope graphically yourself, you just ride the fader and your movements get recorded and you can then choose to represent the recorded movements as an envelope. Anyway, too bad if GT doesn't have this, but just figured it might be work another quick look.

I would also be surprised if GT doesn't offer volume envelopes. This was standard stuff at least as far back as Pro Audio 9 and possibly earlier. Double check your manual or online help files.

just wanted to clarify that GT2 does have volume envelope for individual sound clips (or waveforms), but not for an entire track or song.

mixsit said:
How about a plan B? If the facilities are there to play and output the mix while recording a loop of the signal back in to a new stereo track, could you do the fade manually?
1) i'll probably just keep doing what i do now--combine sound clips, adjust the sound clip's volume envelope so they fade accordingly, etc. or 2) i've thought about upgrading to GT3 since it's $99 for the upgrade...

guttadaj said:
In SONAR, (and from the screen shots of GT on Cakewalk's site, they look similar) you create a volume envelope by right-clicking in the track where you see the waveform and selecting Envelopes->Create Track Envelope. Then, Volume is one of the choices of Envelopes to create. Do you not have this option when right-clicking?
right-clicking on a sound clip in GT2 brings up Envelope > Create Volume, but i can't a way to get it on the whole track.

guttadaj said:
Another way of doing it is to right-click on the volume fader itself and select Arm for Automation. Then, instead of drawing an envelope graphically yourself, you just ride the fader and your movements get recorded and you can then choose to represent the recorded movements as an envelope.
the only option when i righ-click on a fader in GT2 is Ungroup All and the only mention of Arm is to arm a track for recording.

dachay2tnr said:
Double check your manual or online help files.
will do, and also will ask in the cakewalk forums.

thanks again for the help, guys.

You can fade the output of a subgroup(s) (the ultimate destination of your mix) in GTP3. Can you create a track envelope or automate fader in GT 2? I think someone asks this but I forget how to go back once I begin my post !!!!

Just thought of something. Split your clip where you want the fade to begin. Do same to other track (l or R). Now you have a separate "clip", but still attached to the original. Right click on new clip which is now the portion that will fade and apply envelope. Oh I figured out how to go back.... scroll down....silly Newbie. PS upgrade to gt3. It is worth the 99.00

v6v6v6 said:
as far as i can tell, GT2 doesn't have the ability to place a volume envelope on a track or master fader. :( i guess it's a minor inconvenience that i can live with for now.

You're right, I just installed my old GTPro2 to check it, but even so, you can still do a whole song fadeout without putting envelopes on every audio clip, you can do a stereo mixdown to an empty track, when that's done, mute or archive all of the original tracks so that just the mixdown will play, then put an envelope on the mixdown, and then mix it down again to another empty track to record the fadeout.

Back