fading in...fading out...

jdavis

No, it's not a thread about mixing, it's about mics...fading in and out. I have a couple Marshall mics(2001 and 603). There are certain times when I use them, that they fade in and out. What I mean is that when I start playing or singing, as I get louder, they fade out to nothing, and just stop working, then, a few seconds later, they kinda fade back into working. Also, when this happens, they typically don't have much gain...the preamp can be cranked, but it doesn't matter. This doesn't happen all the time, but every now and then.

I thought it was the preamp, but i've tried two different pres and alot of different mics. It's never happened with any of my other mics(all dynamic), so i'm perplexed. Anyone ever heard of such a thing happening???

Thanks.

***Justin***

Sounds like it might be a Phantom power problem, does it happen with other condensers?

Ok, i'm here in the studio testing them right now. The SD condenser doesn't do it(603), only the LD(2001)...so, I assume it's a problem with that mic...diagraphm, etc...? Any ideas?

I, too, thought it was a phantom power problem, but it happens with two different pres, so without a strange coincidence, I guess it rules that out.

***Justin***

Anyone else have any ideas here? Slack, Harvey, Alan, Bluebear, etc.??? I kinda wanna know if I should shop now for a new mic or not...whatcha'll think? Thanks guys!

jdavis said:
Anyone else have any ideas here? Slack, Harvey, Alan, Bluebear, etc.??? I kinda wanna know if I should shop now for a new mic or not...whatcha'll think? Thanks guys!

Well trying them with dynamic mics does not help. You need to use another condenser mic that requires 48V. If it does not happen on the other 48V mics on the same pre-amp and cables that the Marshalls cut out on, then the Marshalls could have a bad or leaky cap, or a grounding problem caused by the black paint. Trouble shooting without the proper equipment is the same as shooting in the dark.

Like I said, if the mic pre's work fine on the same cable using another 48V mic...then it is the Marshalls. You can try cleaning the head and body where they make contact. Sometimes the paint causes this. If it is not a grounding problem, then send it in to Marshall. I am sure they will be happy to resolve the problem.

Alan Hyatt
PMI AUdio Group

Back