Faders not sensitive enough

bdemenil

Any way to change the sensitivity of the faders in Cubase? I'd like to be able to control with a sensitivity of 1/10th a db, but the finest I can adjust them is about .25 or .3 dbs - for better than that i have to type in the number.

If you think you, or anyone else, can hear the difference 1/10th of dB makes to a single track in a mix, you're fooling yourself.

TravisinFlorida said:
I don't think I could hear it in a solo track.

I know I can't. I go in .5 dB increments when making small adjustments and even that's a stretch for my ears.

The .5 - 1 db average sensitivity is for sound in narrow frequency spectrum . Across broader frequency spectrums, the ear is more sensitive. Toole & Olive put the max sensitivity at .25db . Also, these studies were done with ordinary people. My guess is that sound engineers, who have better trained ears (hopefully), should be more discerning than the general population.

Anyway, thanks bigwillz24 for the hold shift recommendation. It does make it easier to adjust things with volumes not jumping around so much at the slight move of a mouse.

Either way, I won't believe that you are going to hear the difference in a .1 db change on a track in a mix.

Back