Factory Joe

Nola and Robus - thank you for the second listen. Glad you liked it.

Jessica_X - thank you and I'm glad you liked the song.

invoid - I thought you gave an excellent review. No need for a disclaimer. :). I didn't make any cuts to the guitar in the second mix. So the perceived loss of meat must be due to the presence boost. I like your idea of something in the middle of the two mixes. I'll try it and see what I like. There wasn't any change to the cymbals between the two mixes. So it's probably just something that caught your ear the second time around. The OH's weren't super-well recorded and get a little sizzly and swirly in spots. I don't think there is much I can do. Thank you. And keep participating on the board.

Great song, really dig the harmonies on this. What amp or sim you using? I been trying to dial in that guitar tone. Things seem well balanced in my headphones, vocals are a little loud maybe? The lead vocal seems a little dry when the harmonies aren't present, I like the effect on it though (maybe a double track actually?), it's real nice.

Thanks easlern. Yeah the vocals are double tracked. It's a real amp. Mesa Boogie Mark V using the Mark II setting. I have the settings I used written down at home. Let me know if you're interested. I'd be happy to dig them out and let you know. Just in case you happen to have a Mark V I guess. :)

I was actually gonna guess an orange. I got a sansamp that's supposed to be modeled on an orange but it sounds more like the tone you got haha

TripleM, do you have a soundcloud? I'd be curious to hear more stuff. I thought this was the best song I ever heard in the clinic. The lyrics are witty and great. It's like a combination of Devo and the Kinks.

Thought it was "Time" at the very start. :)

I'm sensing some timing stuff with the guitars in the verse? It's an odd rhythm as it is, since it changes on the last measure. I would work on tightening that strumming pattern up and more cohesive across all measures. just my opinion. a kick timing miss at "he's got seniority" when it starts repeating at the end.

can't hear the kick much, it's more like a quiet thump that I need to really listen for.

the guitars sound great, bass especially. vocals too. How are you compressing the vocals?

Thanks Nola. I appreciate it. I thought my SoundCloud address was in my signature, but it isn't. Here it is:

https://soundcloud.com/threemarcias I'll put this tune up there as soon as the comments die down here.

andrushkiwt - It's a little clunky I suppose going from the factory sound intro to the guitar intro. But that's the way I intended it. Whether that intention was good or not, is a question. :D Nothing super special on the vocal compression. I don't do any of it during tracking (because I don't have an outboard compressor). I use ReaComp - the stock Reaper plugin compressor. I'm pulling down 5-6db on the loudest notes. I'm probably averaging 2-3db of gain reduction. I have a 100ms attack to let consonants at the beginning of words get through. I have a moderate release of 140ms.

I downloaded this song some time ago and inserted it into Might & Magic 7 and 8 so I get to hear every time I play those games. I really like the song.

The guitar is out of tune somewhere - most noticeable in the intro but more subtle as the vocals. I find the bass a little muffly but it is distinct enough a the same time. It sounds like the tone is printed so I don't know if you can brighten it up at this point. Could use a more snare for my taste.
The vocals are excellent - both lead and backups are great. Good arrangement on varying guitar parts in the verse, and joining together in pre-chorus and chorus. I'm a pop junkie and this satisfies my hunger for that type of music also adds adds a nice edge with the guitar crunch.

Back