FA: MINT Yamaha MD8 with orginal box, manual and five sealed Sony discs

chlorinedream

Hi, I am selling a Mint Yamaha MD8 with five sealed Sony MMD-140A data discs, the original box and the manual. Here is the URL:

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=418461242

I've had the unit for about a year and a half. It has been very well taken care of in a home-studio environment (non-smoking, always covered when not in use, etc.)

The reason I am selling this only is because I have upgraded to a Mac-based DAW.

Thanks,
Scott

Yo Chlorine in the Washing Machine:

The only trouble with technology is that, when one buys it, it it already obsolete. Suggest you try selling your MD-8 to a Newbie friend. It is a nice box; but, mark my words, Yamaha will soon be putting out a 12-16 track box or will improve the MD-8's system so it does not use compression.

But, you should be able to sell the data discs if the price is right.

Green Hornet

Still pessimistic from the name change...

Chlorine-

I commend your decision to sell your unit. Without people like you, I would have never started real recording. I commend you on not taking Green Hornets truly constructive advice to go outside and smash it with a hammer.

Forgive ol' Greeny. He gets testy when he forgets his Prozac.

Yeah, but until that machine comes out, the MD8 is THE choice for minidisc recording, or 8 track be-all-boxes for that matter. Why you gatta be so mean?
Good luck selling your MD8, my friend, I hope you get something even better and coninue on with recording.

Yo Kelly of Killarney:

PROZAC?? Nay, Nay, Nay. Don't use that stuff, YET!

Gordon's Gin Martinis -- YES, YES, YES.

But, Kelly, USED GEAR IS USED GEAR. And, there are four for more boxes out there that record better sound than the MD-8.

The MD-8 is well-received because it is rather easy to use, well most of it is easy. But, can you deny 24 bit sound or 32 bit processing? Nay.

I really get ticked, though, when Kato tries to grab the last Coors. Got to get my gas gun gassed-up.

Green Hornet

Agreed. But damn, this thing is CHEAP. Anytime you can get digital tracks for $100 per track, that's a deal.

I remember writing a paper in college about the ads/disads of DAT and minidisc (about eight years ago, I guess). I finished up saying that the minidisc was a fad (and it is, other than recording purposes).

Yeah, a DAT or ADAT or harddrive recorder (hate not being able to remove media) may have it over the MD-8 in sound quality, but very few people can tell the difference. And in a studio or gig where beer flows and cigarettes burn, getting a cheap multitrack is a godsend.

There is always something better out there, but there's no justifiable reason to get expensive when you're just getting into reliable. A lot of people are looking to upgrade from 1/4" trackers, and the MD-8 is the best next step, IMHO. Chlorine has the right idea offering it up for others to gain (while getting some cash for that DAW!).

Yeah, those DataDiscs are a bitch. ProTape has the best deal, last I checked.

Yo Kelly:

Thanks for the "Data Disc" information; but, when I got my MD-8, I also managed to work in 5 data discs at a price I don't remember but I wound up with a box of two track discs for free....

One of the reasons I really dislike "USED GEAR" or " repaired gear" is that new gear is lighter, better, and maybe sometimes a bit more expensive; however, the results are WONDERFUL. Also, once I had a nine cent plastic push switch fall off of a pretty good tape deck; Yamaha wanted a minimum of 50 bucks to put in a new one; I ran the deck using my little finger to activate the switch and then gave it to my nephew when I bought my Sony decks. New is nice. New is better. And, Gnu isn't what you want.

Hey, have fun and I'm still taking Bayer.

Green Hornet

Back