F-Ugly Inlay

gvarko

So I bought this new Washburn X40 Pro. I really like the guitar, but it has this ugly inlay of an X on the fretboard. It would looks so much better without it. Is there anyway I can black it out or chisel it out and fill so it can't be seen?

You can certainly pull the inlay and fill the space with filler and make it less noticeable, but it will be obvious that you have done so. Doing this will devalue the guitar.

You could replace the inlay with something larger that you find less offensive if you wish. that would be a better option.

You could take a magic marker and black it out. I've seen it done. Electrical tape has also been used for this purpose.

You may find that, if you live with it as is, it will quit bothering you after a while. This is the course I would recommend.

Yeah, I will probably just live with it. It would look so much better without the stupid X

Attachments

• x40protblbig.jpg
    x40protblbig.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 118
Yeah, I will probably just live with it. It would look so much better without the stupid X

Well, sometimes you just have to take the bad with the good, y'know? It looks like a pretty minor feature to me, anyway; I doubt that most folks will even notice it.

I wouldn't fool with it. A black marker won't work since it's a rosewood fretboard and not black at all. You could dig it out and fill the hole with something but man, lots of work for a minor irritation plus, if you've never done this kinda work before, you'd probably end up with a different ugly issue.

I'm agreeing with "leave it alone."

It's not that ugly, and the guitar overall is very nice-looking.

Maybe you could just get a tattoo to match it. :D

I wouldn't fool with it. A black marker won't work since it's a rosewood fretboard and not black at all. You could dig it out and fill the hole with something but man, lots of work for a minor irritation plus, if you've never done this kinda work before, you'd probably end up with a different ugly issue.

True, actually the one I have has a much darker fretboard. It is Rosewood but very dark, almost ebony looking. That stock photo makes it look almost red...

Nice guitar BTW....Nasty inlay! BUT, it's not so bad you can't live with it is it? Which model is that? I would opt for the N4 but now that i see yours, that's not too bad either.

So I take it you're not considering the matching tattoo? :D
Coffee on the fingerboard syndrome strikes again...

I'd just stop looking at yer hands when you play...:D

Seriously, I woudn't sweat it. Look at the tailpiece on my Washburn - If I can live with this much bling, you can handle an inlaid "x".

Attachments

• bigJ4.jpg
    bigJ4.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 43
Coffee on the fingerboard syndrome strikes again...

I'd just stop looking at yer hands when you play...:D

Seriously, I woudn't sweat it. Look at the tailpiece on my Washburn - If I can live with this much bling, you can handle an inlaid "x".

That put's it in perspective, thanks!!

Nice guitar BTW....Nasty inlay! BUT, it's not so bad you can't live with it is it? Which model is that? I would opt for the N4 but now that i see yours, that's not too bad either.

That's the X40 Pro. I looked at the N4's, just don't care for the Bill Lawrence Pup they come with. Other than that they are sick guitars!

My guitar is much darker than the one's in stock photos, even the fretboard is dark:

Attachments

• x401pro.jpg
    x401pro.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 39
Back