Ezdrummer tips for a noob

ste20man

Hi,

I would love to be able to record live drums but I can't so I am using Ezdrummer.

I'm pretty pleased with it so far but am wondering if anyone has some seasoned tips and tricks for a noob like myself?

All ideas would be welcome, cheers, Ste. :D

There are forums over at Toontrack that will be your best bet for tips, including some nice templates already set up for Reaper (if that's your DAW). I'm just learning it myself. :cool:

Use the mixer don't rely on the presets.

When you get some cash get the classics or Nashville expansions. The kits are a lot nicer and more options.

Put the cymbals where a real drummer would. Most of us non-drummers sucks at this.

Use the grooves and modify them, for your track. Trying to build the, from scratch will likely sound more artificial. But, do modify them. I rarely find a groove with the perfect kick for what I'm doing.

Drop the room mic to zero with the pop rock kit, and down about 75% with the classics and Nashville expansions. Mix the drums yourself and play with the bleed switches.

Play with the different snares and cymbals to see what fits your song.

I'll write a book on this one day. I don't use other grooves unless it's to find how to program a particular pattern on a particular drum/cymbal - they're never what you really want anyway in my opinion.

Tips - you have only 4 hands and you are a human. If you want fake drums to sound real, don't do impossible combinations. Understand a drum kit layout and what's possible. Listen to real drums to work out what works. Vary (not randomise) your velocities. Put more top, less bottom mic on the snare.

And the best tip....

Begin.

Cheers everyone, am making my way now. Appreciate all the input, will try and take it all on board, thanks, Ste.

Back