extremely effed up CAD M179 : (

marshall409

Ok so weird issue with my M179...the other day i was using it as an overhead. The sound I was getting played back fine and sounded normal, except I did notice the waveform was like...limited or something? It looked like I was running a limiter on the track but i wasnt. The gain on the preamp was cranked, and the mic was peaking solid at -11dBish. I didnt think much of it yesterday cuz i was just fiddling around with drum tones.

So today, its way more fucked. Its adjustable polar pattern in case you didnt know. The cardioid setting has WAY less gain that the other settings, and all of them experience this same weird issue. The sound is distorted, and the mic only makes noise when I really yell in it, almost like theres a gating effect built in.

Any ideas? Tried cables, outputs, other mics etc...its definitely this mic.

-Adam

haha no such thing as a stupid response when youre trying to help brotha.

phantom power is on and confirmed to be working fine with other mics.

i have read that the M179 has a HUGE current draw on phantom power supplies, but it seemed to work ok yesterday, or at least work somewhat. it seems like now that i think about it maybe its receiving intermittent phantom power...which would require opening it up and repairing.

any one think it might be a moist capsule?

What preamp were you using?

I have/had six M177/179 mics without any problems but I understand their customer service is pretty good.

Paj
8^)

It could be the connection / cable. Could be lots of things. Hard to tell until you find something that you can toggle that makes it work one way and not work the other.

The 179 does require quite a bit of power. Is your pre supplying a full 48v, or does it supply only 24v?

The 179 does require quite a bit of power. Is your pre supplying a full 48v, or does it supply only 24v?

I think current is more of an issue than voltage with the M179, but this sounds more like a sudden failure rather than a compatibility issue.

it was working fine with the focusrite pre's yesterday. im leaving it in a bag with a silica packet tonight and if that doesnt do it then my buddys dad (ham radio nerd) is gonna take a look at it.

it was working fine with the focusrite pre's yesterday. im leaving it in a bag with a silica packet tonight and if that doesnt do it then my buddys dad (ham radio nerd) is gonna take a look at it.

Yeah, well that's kinda how it works, isn't it?

"I drove my car yesterday and it was fine, then today the transmission went out. I don't know what went wrong?"

or

"My computer was fine yesterday. Today it won't start up. Why did it do that?"

Stuff breaks sometimes. Electrical stuff especially. Sometimes you buy a brand new lightbulb and the first time you turn on the light: *piff*.

Ok so weird issue with my M179...the other day i was using it as an overhead. The sound I was getting played back fine and sounded normal, except I did notice the waveform was like...limited or something? It looked like I was running a limiter on the track but i wasnt. The gain on the preamp was cranked, and the mic was peaking solid at -11dBish. I didnt think much of it yesterday cuz i was just fiddling around with drum tones.

So today, its way more fucked. Its adjustable polar pattern in case you didnt know. The cardioid setting has WAY less gain that the other settings, and all of them experience this same weird issue. The sound is distorted, and the mic only makes noise when I really yell in it, almost like theres a gating effect built in.

Any ideas? Tried cables, outputs, other mics etc...its definitely this mic.

-Adam

To me it doesn't sound like it's the microphone it sounds to me like it's the preamp.

:cool:

same results on all 8 preamps on my interface. other mics work just fine. overnight in a ziploc bag with silica packet did not help.

Sounds to me like you're not getting full voltage to some preamp stage and/or to the capsule. It would be hard to track down unless you have either a schematic or a second working one to check voltages. Even then, it's hard to fix because the M179 uses surface mount parts.

I would drop CAD a line.

service@cadaudio.com

See what they have to say.

If you do decide to take it apart, the first thing I'd do is check the wires from the circuit board down to the XLR connector. If it's not that, maybe check the wires leading to the capsule and make sure they haven't broken. Beyond that, it's probably a failed capacitor somewhere, statistically speaking.

Hey Dave ..... go back to post #15 there you will find the link to Cad service department you may find what you need there.

Hey Dave ..... go back to post #15 there you will find the link to Cad service department you may find what you need there.

Hi moresound, thanks but I tried that link and it didn't work. I will write CAD, though I'm not optimistic they'll be free with their 'intellectual property'.
Dave

Back