Extra Shure SM57.....utilizing it to its fullest??

metal_god69

Howdy all.....I recently started using a trigger for my snare and kick, so im left with a extra SM57 which i used to use for the top mic. Now with the trigger, i trigger and mic from the bottom. sounds really good.....so my quesiton is...what should i do with the SM57 now?? I dont have my ride or hi-hat directly mic'd, just use the over heads. Would a 57 do justice for either the ride or hi hat?? or a room mic, a couple ft behind my overheads?? any idea's are appriated. Cheers :)

It's not a very effective hat or cymbal mic. You could try it as a room mic, maybe placed far away, or down a hall or something. It would give you an interesting verb that might be useful now and then, but you probably won't want to use it all the time.

Second kick mic

Hi,

Try it as an extra kick mic/front of set mic 3 or 4 feet out.

Or build a cushion tunnel and just get the extra kick without muddying the top.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

Just because you have it doesn't mean you have to use it.

If that philosophy doesn't work for you, any of the other suggestions in this thread are good too.

Beater side of the kick (assuming that you still play a traditional set, with the trigger on a real kick drum, using a real kick pedal) then mix with your triggered sound.

Easy one...use it on the ride, on-axis with the bell. Was just telling someone a few minutes ago that the 57 was a great ride mic when added to a set-up where you have a pair of condensers for overheads. :D

Back