External HD specs: what matters?

cstockdale

supafly killa homey
My home PC works just great for recording, no need to change anything. But my new job has me on the road alot, but that means lots of evenings in hotel rooms with nothing to do. I can't haul all my recording gear with me, but I have thought that if I bring a mic, a guitar, a POD, and a USB interface with me (like the Line6 UX2), I can spend those boring evenings recording to my laptop.

BUT, I would like to have all my recordings on one drive that I can use with my PC at home, or my laptop on the road. Hence, I would like to use an external HD so that all I have to do is put all my audio and my audio applications on that Harddrive and just plug it in to whichever machine I am using at the time.

Is USB 2.0 fast enough to run both Sonar and write all the audio data to an external HD? Is Firewire better? Does drive RPM matter? I want rock-solid stable performance here.

Sustained transfer rate is what I always place the most importance on. None of the other figures matter too much to me if the sustained transfer rate is too low. Although nowadays it seems that just about all the typical drives have good ST rates:)

Back