External Hard Drive

Sorry but, though that was true at one time, it is certainly not true now. Yes, at some levels of complexity, a drive may choke, but for casual use it is not a problem and, in any event, wouldn't result in corruption. Bus speeds are so great now that most modern computers can handle a huge amount of data transfer to drives. Seek times have similarly improved and, with a large enough buffer in the drive, simply aren't an issue. And, of course, with SSDs, seek times aren't a factor at all. Nonetheless, it is still good practice to keep audio and video data on a separate drive.

Oy. First of all, eSATA means "external SATA." You meant just "SATA," which is the standard in current computers. You also meant 7200 rpm (as opposed to 5400 rpm). However, rotational speed doesn't give a true picture of how quickly a drive can read and write data. Other factors include bus speed (SATA can range from 1.5 to 6 gbps), seek time and buffer size.

It might, depending on the factors I mentioned about. There are some 7200 rpm SATA drives that perform poorly compared to some 5400 rpm SATA drives. "eSATA" refers to the type of port, not the drive. And, as I mentioned "external eSATA" is redundant.

Ah, a Mac user. That explains a lot. :)

That is utter nonsense. Firewire was a video standard for more than a decade, and has lost favor only because of the additional costs associated with the interface. USB 2.0 is perfectly adequate for many applications, and USB 3.0 is faster than 3 Gbps SATA and only slightly slower than 6 Gbps SATA. All these interfaces -- SATA, Firewire and USB -- are stable, reliable and will function perfectly well for real time recording.

Thank you PT'
I was a bit suspicious of the original post but being more valve jockey than PC guru I was loathe to comment.

Dave.

You should never use your system drive to record audio, much less video. The system drive is constantly in use with background temp files being written and read and this may slow your audio performance, or actually cause corruptions in extreme scenarios.

Ideally fit a second eSATA 72rpm drive inside your computer for audio recording or buy an eSATA PICe card and use it to connect to an external eSATA 7200rpm drive which will give you great performance. Thunderbolt is good too but you should avoid Firewire and USB because their system drivers are not optimised for real-time recording.

Oh my, where does crap info like this come from?.....Obviously not from experience. :facepalm:

To TS; please don't give false information on this site. We have many incredibly knowledgeable members that will take care of it quickly, but we don't need the clutter. Good to see you stopped spamming your links. :)

Back