External hard drive

Trumpspade

I'M BLESSED.......
I just recently switched from Sonar on a PC to Pro tools on an IMAC. (I also have pro tools installed on my pc as well)

I purchased a Buffalo 500GB Firewire external hardrive. Everytime I attempt to initiate a project in pro tools, to be save on the external, I get an error message when I hit record. I know that it has something to do with the hardrive because when I detach it, it works with no problems on my OS drive. (which I know is a no-no, but it was for process of elimination purposes) I had this issue before and I fixed it, but I can't remember what I did! I was reading up on RAID array, which I understand doesn't work well with Pro tools, but I don't understand any of it........

Needless to say, "I need help!"...............

Your getting the DAE 9131 error huh? Whats your format of your HD? Fat32, NTFS, HFS? It's firewire. Which firewire speed is it? 400 or 800? You running mbox? 002's? I'm not sure what error your getting, but something like that tends to be corrupted files for the particular sessions (usually playbacks), or wrong filesystem for PT (usually recording), or try unplugging & plugging it up in a different firewire location (problem in pt 6.2-http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?navid=54&langid=100&itemid=19724) . What version of OS are you running? If it's 10.3+ your drive might be formated as a HFSX and idk if pt would support it. Try reinitializing the drive in apple's drive setup utility. Check your DAE settings in preferences of PT..

or Digidesign also recommends this method:
Quoted out of their box of horrors

6) Another possible solution would be to trash preferences.
a) For Pro Tools TDM systems: Mac Hard Drive > System Folder > Preferences folder. Trash the DAE preferences folder and the Pro Tools preferences. Empty trash and restart computer.
b) For Pro Tools LE systems: Mac Hard Drive > System Folder > Preferences folder. Trash the DAE preferences folder, Digisetup and the Pro Tools preferences. Empty trash and restart computer.

4) Another possibility is that the audio files associated with the Pro Tools session are living on mulitple hard drives of different types (ie. FireWire, ATA, SCSI). Use Disk Allocation from the Setups Menu and save the audio files to only drives of the same type. <that sounds somewhat right too..

Last edited:
You're my dude Mindset, I don't care what anybody says............

Yo, listen!!!!!!!

Bro' my pro tools, for the time being, is up and running. I would love to do a hook or something for you! (I can't/don't rap............)

At the very least, I can get some lessons of how to dig into this thing now!

You've been helping me for a minute now, the least I can do is give back whatever I can!!!!!!

gottdamn i needa go to audio engineering school...yall boys talkin ina whole other language..lol

did't understand shit yall just said:confused:

sorry dont mean to derail this thread....i have a question for Mindset about my mbox

Why does it make a hissing sound whenever i record ? i have an mbox 2....pro tools le..

someone told me one time that they came defected and your suppose to download some patch for it..

i was just wondering if you knew anything abouts..seems like you know alot about this stuff..

sorry dont mean to derail this thread....i have a question for Mindset about my mbox

Why does it make a hissing sound whenever i record ? i have an mbox 2....pro tools le..

someone told me one time that they came defected and your suppose to download some patch for it..

i was just wondering if you knew anything abouts..seems like you know alot about this stuff..

The hissing can be caused by numerous stuff. But the main ones I would be looking for is these

Digidesign has a problem with that already, theres like a million people with the same problem. It's in the hardware, and idk if the patch would fix it but you should patch either way. Which I'm thinking is the same problem. | It could be your gain staging. When recording in, how hot are you running the preamp on the mbox? Then how hot are you boosting inside the box? IE if you boost inside pt too much you'll hear that noise floor, same thing if on the preamp. so equal them out and boost evenly. Thats if its the problem.. | You hear the hiss probably caused by your computers' noise, but it's not recorded after you press stop and play right? You might just be hearing that at high volume. or Are you just monitoring too loud in your speakers or headphones? | Sometimes the computer's usb inputs arn't the best. A better usb card or/and usb cable may solve the problem. So when you take that mbox 2 to another computer, it may have a hiss too, slightly different pitch. Its in the computer. But I doubt its from inside the computer (Since your unit is external), but more of digital noise. | What kind of speakers are you using? | It may could be dirty power. Thats why we have power conditioners. Stay away from fridge's. 60hz hum? | Mic cable impedence & what kind of mic are you using? | Theres a lot of things but if you narrow it down a little bit it could help me too lol.

I had a hiss a while back and it had to do with where I plugged in my gear. Like the outlet was poorly grounded or something.

My initial hissing came from what Mindset was hitting on, my gain on both my pre and my mbox. Once I found a happy medium, I no longer have that problem. Just mess with the gain on both and you'll find what I call that "Sweet Spot"!!!!!

i still cant take da hiss off....but i think my plugs might have something to do with it.....da trs cable that go from da fant to da mbox didn fit so i bought thhose adapter things that make it bigger so it can fit in the hole:-)p)

i still cant take da hiss off....but i think my plugs might have something to do with it.....da trs cable that go from da fant to da mbox didn fit so i bought thhose adapter things that make it bigger so it can fit in the hole:-)p)

Thats one of your problems right there. I didn't mention the rest of the signal chain. Do you happen to know if your trs cable is balanced or unbalanced? How long is the cable? Is it running parallel with any nearby power cables? Close to a TV? Refridgerator? Is it a 60 cycle hum? I've used the mbox before, but I don't really 'prefer' it. There is a problem with hiss and thats lots of users if you read up on it. I know it doesn't record the hiss when you playback. Are you monitoring through headphones? You know that a lot of noise might not come from 1 device thats the problem, but many parts to a problem?

I've worked in some impressive studios with Neve boards or SSL boards. Even at million+ in a room, if its talking about just 'hiss' and not straight silence, I hear it in them too. Turn it up and I start to hear the noise floor faintly. If your hiss is a problematic hiss, we'll figure out the problem. If its faintly, and bearable, run it through a gate and solve your problem.

Back