Extending Delta 44 patch-box cable

Dingo

After some discussions here and elsewhere I ended up purchasing for myself a Midiman/M-Audio Delta44 sound card.

It works just great, of course.

However, I knew before I got it (from what I'd read) that I'd find the patch-box cable too short, and indeed that has proved to be the case.

I contacted M-Audio to see if I could just use a standard 15-pin male to 15-pin female cable to replace the existing cable with a longer one, and the answer from them was "No, you can't". They say I can only use their patch-box cables, and that the simplest way to extend is to buy a couple more and join them end to end.

That would work, I suppose, and I'm chasing that option up, but I was wondering if anyone here had had experience with the Delta44 or Delta66 and had actually tried a generic cable rather than an M-Audio supplied cable.

I guess what I'm really asking is, does their answer really mean "no, it won't work" (which I accept very likely might be the case), or "it does work, but we're not gonna tell you that because we want to sell you our cables", or the perhaps more reasonable "it might well work, but we don't want you to do it because of the risks of using a third party cable that we have no control over the quality of"?

I'm not trying to be a trouble-maker, but I work in the software industry and I know we often tell users not to do something that might actually work, for the simple reason that we don't know that they won't screw things up if they do that. I'm sure the same applies to the hardware industry.

Thanks in advance,

Dingo

(BTW: The koala did it)

Back