Exports or Stage Custom Advantage?

Enrique

Dilemma here. I've heard good things about both. However, I look at the two and really can't find a difference besides tone and value. I know people will tell me that it's basically personal preference. That's all good and all, but what I'm asking is that if it came down to it, which would you choose? I compared these two kits because for they both run for $599 w/ hardware, however, you get an extra tom with the Export. Sounds like the Export is the better deal, but again, if it came down to it, which would it be? I would appreciate anyone's input.

Hmm, that is a hard decisions...I know some friends were looking at Yamaha's and their complaint was that Yamaha has, evidently, changed it's hardware line a bit, and they said they didn't like the new hardware at all.

I played Yahamaha Recording Customs for several years, and I had a set of "Stage II" drums that I used for general playing (There's no way in hell I'd leave an expensive drumkit in a club overnight! Equipment sprouts legs too easily.)

Personally, I'd go with the Pearls....just because I prefer their hardware. I use all Pearl hardware (everything but the Kick pedals and Hi-hat, those are all Axis Longboards.)

AT those levels of drums, the problem to me is the shells are all essentially the same....it's the hardware that makes the real difference.
The only thing about the PEarls, if you do decide to go with them, I would change that el cheapo "isolating" system that pearl uses...that looks like a Rim warping piece of crap....it was not a good idea....I'd rather have the tom mounts mount to the shells than use those things....so, I would upgrade to their better line of tom "isolation mounts", but that's just me....you may find that they work just fine for you. (Personally, I don't like any of the isolation mounts that are out there...I don't think it makes that big of a deal, and in a live mic'd situation...they can make problems for you....especially if you don't have noise gates. Just my opinion.)

Tim

I actually think the Tama mounting system is pretty good. Because it's attached to the hoop, it's supposed to result in less pressure on the drumshell and there's no bar intruding into the shell.

The system on the Export is similar to Tama's, but I don't know if it's as sturdy

I've owned both a Stage Custom and an Export kit (among many other kits). More importantly I sold both when I worked in a drum shop for about 4 years (until I left recently) - which in part explains why I've owned so many kits. I assembled dozens of both kits (and several other models) so I saw all the QC issues - the pros and cons of each set

I prefer the Yamaha hardware to Pearl - in particular the tom mounting hardware (I really don't like the Pearl mounting system - the upper line Opti-mounts are very good - but the lower line "rim claws" are a poor design - my opinion).

I also think the Stage Custom has a slighly more focused attack and they tune easier/better)

However, the extra 8" tom with the Exports does make the Pearls appear to be a better deal (re: more stuff for the same price). Pearl does market more agressively than the other companies (ie: free tom) It all depends if the one extra drum is more important than the Yamaha quality. Only you can decide how bad you want/need the extra drum and if that makes it a better value

I'm not trying to bash Pearl - they make good drums, I just the the Stage Customer is a little better than the Export.

Note: The ISS mounting system will work fine with good 2.3mm hoops (the Export does not come with these) so you would have to factor in the upgrade to either new hoops or the Opti-mount system (which works amazingly well by the way-the most solid "supspension" mounting I've ever used).

As a Pearl player, when it comes to lower end kits I would probably go with the Yamaha. Like mikeh said, don't take this as a bash against Pearl - Exports sound great but have some mounting hardware issues.

I really appreciate the comments. I have been comparing the two for quite some time. Other people have mentioned Tama's Rockstar Custom, which I was eyeing in the first place, but because $599 is only the price of the shell set, I figured I'd probably go with the Stage Customs. Right now, I own a Mapex V-Series. Let me tell you, I have not been dissatisfied with Mapex, I just think I need something different. For anyone out there that likes to bash on Mapex, think again. Although their V-Series is one of their entry level kits, if you tune it right with suitable heads, you got yourself a serious sounding kit. Anyways, thanks for the help guys!

Back