Exporting raw tracks

osiris

I have 12 songs recorded in one project in Sonar6 PE and i'm trying to export each song to its own project to make mixing more manageable. When I select the tracks I want exported and go to file-export-audio to export the tracks, it includes all the time before the song begins as silence giving me hour long wave files with the 3 minutes of audio I want at the end. What am I doing wrong?

osiris said:
I have 12 songs recorded in one project in Sonar6 PE and i'm trying to export each song to its own project to make mixing more manageable. When I select the tracks I want exported and go to file-export-audio to export the tracks, it includes all the time before the song begins as silence giving me hour long wave files with the 3 minutes of audio I want at the end. What am I doing wrong?

The first thing I would do is save every song as it's own in a 'per project" folder. This way every tune has a folder with the files. You can simply copy the file to disc or whatever iof needed. Go to global settings for this. Did you try to highlight just the section you wanted to export?
Jim

jmorris said:
The first thing I would do is save every song as it's own in a 'per project" folder. This way every tune has a folder with the files. You can simply copy the file to disc or whatever iof needed. Go to global settings for this.

I'm not sure what you mean. Sorry, I'm new to Sonar. The audio files are all named with an esoteric naming convention so its difficult to determine which files belong to which song. What do you mean about global settings?

jmorris said:
Did you try to highlight just the section you wanted to export?
Jim

I'm clicking on each clip in the song while holding ctrl. All the clips are highlited and the region in the time ruler is shaded.
Thanks.

osiris said:
it includes all the time before the song begins as silence giving me hour long wave files with the 3 minutes of audio I want at the end. What am I doing wrong?
It's a little confusing trying to understand what you are starting with; however, if you have reached the above point, you should be able to simply delete the silence.

Select Edit > Select All. Then drag your cursor in the Time Ruler area up to the point where the audio begins in order to select the measures that have the silence. (When you are finished, all of your tracks should be highlighted where there is silence, and not highlighted where there is audio.) Then select Edit > Delete, and make sure the Delete Hole checkbox is selected.

After that, simply resave the project.

dachay2tnr said:
It's a little confusing trying to understand what you are starting with; however, if you have reached the above point, you should be able to simply delete the silence.

Select Edit > Select All. Then drag your cursor in the Time Ruler area up to the point where the audio begins in order to select the measures that have the silence. (When you are finished, all of your tracks should be highlighted where there is silence, and not highlighted where there is audio.) Then select Edit > Delete, and make sure the Delete Hole checkbox is selected.

After that, simply resave the project.

I guess I'm not explaining myself very well. The space that is ending up as silence in the exported wave file has audio in the project file. So, when I'm trying to export song #3 for example, beginning at around 00:14:00:00 I get wave files with 14 minutes of silence where songs 1 and 2 were. Hope that makes sense.
I don't want to delete songs 1-2 and 4-12, I want a new project with just song 3.
Would it be possible to delete 11 of the 12 songs and save a copy of the project with a new name?

dachay2tnr said:
if you have reached the above point, you should be able to simply delete the silence.

Sorry, think I misunderstood you. I think you're saying delete the silence out of the new project I create with the exported tracks? Would this also delete it from my hard drive? The problem is that this is taking up way to much disk space to be saving needlesly long wave files. I ended up with a folder that was like 16 gigs.

osiris, there are a few ways to accomplish what you want.

The easiest is to use the <alt> key to select only the range you want exported.

Notice the time ruler at the top of the track pane? It shows you (in brown, on my machine) what range is selected.

I suspect you're selecting the clip you want to export by clicking on it. But when you do that, SONAR selects the clip and everything up to it. Even if you mute the preceding clips so their audio isn't exported, SONAR has still selected the range they're in, so it exports silence.

If you hold down the <alt> key, and drag it over the clip you want to export, you tell SONAR explicitly which range to use. And you'll see that on the time ruler, only the range you specify is selected (and exported.)

Thanks! I'll try that when I get home.

osiris said:
Would it be possible to delete 11 of the 12 songs and save a copy of the project with a new name?
-would it be possible this way? Seems like it would save time and hard drive space.

Did you mean to say in the first post that you wanted to separate these songs and mix each in it's own project?
If that's the case- Make a good safety of everything, then do a 'save as' 'song 1', delete all the clips from the 'other' songs (or you could just mute these clips and ignore them if you don't mind the extra real estate being taken up), then repeat -reopen the the 'master big project', 'save as' 'song 2' etc..
This wouldn't be a task for export'.

orisis said:
Yes this is where I thought you were going.
You will retain the waves of each song on the drive (they are only removed from reference in the project) And as long as the other projects are still using these files even if you do a 'clean audio folder' they will be kept.
...Did I say 'kept'- Yes. But don't forget to back-up!
They don't really exist untill they're in at least two places! (Or so I've heard.. :o

It wouldn't hurt to do each of these 'new project' versions with 'per project folders'. This gathers and copies all the files for a project to a dedicated folder.
If you have the space it makes for good house keeping. :)
Wayne

Last edited:
osiris said:
This is probably the easiest way to accomplish what you want. As has already been indicated by several people, you do not want to "export" as that will only create a wave file of the entire mix. It will not keep the individual tracks intact.

Basically you can select all the material just prior to the song you wish to keep by dragging your cursor in the time ruler. Just make sure all the tracks are highlighted. (Running the Edit > Select > All command first should insure this.) Once they are selected and highlighted, go to Edit > Delete (make sure the checkbox for "delete hole" is selected).

Once you have done this, you should save the project under a new name (e.g., Song 1), and then repeat the above described process to remove all the material AFTER the song you are working on.

So in short, it's select and delete all the material before the song. Save the project under a new name. Then select and delete all the material after the song and save again.

Repeat for Song 2, Song 3, etc.

dachay2tnr said:
This is probably the easiest way to accomplish what you want. As has already been indicated by several people, you do not want to "export" as that will only create a wave file of the entire mix. It will not keep the individual tracks intact.

Basically you can select all the material just prior to the song you wish to keep by dragging your cursor in the time ruler. Just make sure all the tracks are highlighted. (Running the Edit > Select > All command first should insure this.) Once they are selected and highlighted, go to Edit > Delete (make sure the checkbox for "delete hole" is selected).

Once you have done this, you should save the project under a new name (e.g., Song 1), and then repeat the above described process to remove all the material AFTER the song you are working on.

So in short, it's select and delete all the material before the song. Save the project under a new name. Then select and delete all the material after the song and save again.

Repeat for Song 2, Song 3, etc.

That's what I ended up doing. Thanks for all the help everybody. :D

Back