exporting audio regions

zook250

this may not be the right forum to post this question, but it doesnt fall ito the cubase forum and there is no protools forum here so that is why i posted it here.
this is the senario.
my band recorded a full rehersal on protools le.( in the past i have done this with cubase sx.). in cubase i could set the indicator arrows on the time line to only export sections of the session ie. if the session was 2 hrs long with 15 songs , i could export only the songs,( 8 tracks) that i wanted. it was so easy. highlight the sections of the tracks and then hit export.

protools however i can not figure out how to do it. this is the first time i have recorded with protools and really have no idea. during rehearsal, i basically set levels, hit record in the control room and then go into the recording room and play, therefor i get one long song made up of many smaller songs. i need to be able to seperate all the smaller songs and put them into thier own folders for editing, plus i dont think that you can bounce to disk that large of a file.

any help would be appreciated. preferably step by step.( im a bass player not a recording engineer.)

thanks guys.

1. mix the song as desired
2. select the length of the song in the timeline with the blue arrows
3. go to FILE/BOUNCE TO DISC
4. navigate the prompt windows (ie: 16 bit, 44.1...)
5. bounce

TIP: Do NOT save your bounce in the audio files folder. Put it in the session folder

Make sense?

thanks, sounds similar to the cubase method. i havent had a chance to try doing this as i have been rehersing pretty much constantly( 3 bands). i have some time tonight to give it a try

thanks

If you want to export regions of individual tracks, this might be easier (from the Protools Reference Guide)

Exporting Audio
Pro Tools supports exporting regions as audio
files, exporting left and right audio files as stereo
interleaved files, and exporting region information.
You can also export audio from Pro Tools by
bouncing or consolidating audio tracks. For
more information, see “Bounce to Disk” on
page 482.
Exporting a Region as a New
Audio File
You can export regions as audio files with the
Export Selected As Files command. Use this
command if you intend to use a region in other
sessions (or other audio applications) without
using its parent source file.
This command also provides a way to convert
regions to a different audio format, sample rate,
or bit depth.
To export regions as new audio files:
1 In the Audio Regions List, select the regions
you want to export.
2 From the Audio Regions List pop-up menu,
choose Export Selected As Files. The Export Selected
dialog appears.
3 In the Export Selected dialog, set the file type,
format, bit resolution, and sample rate. In addition,
specify the Conversion Quality, and
choose the destination directory.
4 Select an option for how Pro Tools should resolve
duplicate file names.
Prompting for Each Duplicate prompts you for a
file name for any file that has the same name as
a file in your destination directory.
Auto Renaming automatically changes the name
of any duplicate file by adding a number at the
end of the file name (such as file_01).
Replacing with New Files replaces files with the
same name with the new files.
5 Once the Export Options are configured, click
Export to export the new audio files.

To separate a region into smaller regions, use the selector tool (the I beam) and highlight the area you want to separate, then EDIT>Separate Region. This new region should then show up in the Regions List as it's own region and you can use the above to export it.

Last edited:
find the start of each song...put your cursor a little before it and Edit-->Separate
Same thing for the end of every song.

Use the grabber tool and select the first song, File-->Bounce to disk
continue the same thing for all the other songs.

if you have only used one mono track or one stereo track for the entire session, you can do the Export Region as File command like Reshp recommended....otherwise if you have plugins or more track, you'll want to use the Bounce to Disk command.

bennychico11 said:
find the start of each song...put your cursor a little before it and Edit-->Separate
Same thing for the end of every song.

Use the grabber tool and select the first song, File-->Bounce to disk
continue the same thing for all the other songs.

if you have only used one mono track or one stereo track for the entire session, you can do the Export Region as File command like Reshp recommended....otherwise if you have plugins or more track, you'll want to use the Bounce to Disk command.

It sounded like he wanted to export the audio files individually to mix in separate projects. Either way, you've got both ways to do it now :D

reshp1 said:
It sounded like he wanted to export the audio files individually to mix in separate projects. Either way, you've got both ways to do it now :D

eh, it sounded to me like he was trying to separate 15 songs, recorded on 8 tracks...and bounce them down to stereo
but yeah, either way will work. :cool:

benny's got it right. i want to bounce 8 tracks at once ,but only the region that contains the song that i want .

zook250 said:
benny's got it right. i want to bounce 8 tracks at once ,but only the region that contains the song that i want .

then do what i mentioned above.
separate each song into different regions, use the grabber to select on region of the song (or use the selector tool to double click a region) and File--> Bounce to disk

rinse and repeat

bennychico11 said:
then do what i mentioned above.
separate each song into different regions, use the grabber to select on region of the song (or use the selector tool to double click a region) and File--> Bounce to disk

rinse and repeat

Damn you Benny, Damn you.

:p

Back