explaining vibrato ~ ~

yiordanaki

Hey guys,

I was reading an 'explanation' of vibrato the other day and was finding it hard to even follow what the idiot was saying.

Just wondering if anyone can give an accurate description of how it works, how it can be done and when to use it.

I can use the technique fine (i think), but when i do it i dont even think about it - not even when i first began.

I spose all you're doing is changing your pitch slightly at a fast rate.
But I am yet to find a decent explanation.

Let me know what you think

y

I knew I was going to ask somewhere on time :)

The difference is...

I CAN'T use the technic at all...

I asked my singing trainer, she said it has something to do with "breathing power control" rather than pitch rapid changes. My vocal power is very weak anyway. No matter how hard I tried to scream, it's simply weak... And I have no idea how to make it srong. I can reach normal average male singing pitch range, but no power, no vibration... any sight ?

;)
Jaymz

...please consider Pre-ordering Homerecording.Comp CD's Vol 2 :)

from dictionary.com

vi·bra·to n. pl. vi·bra·tos
A tremulous or pulsating effect produced in an instrumental or vocal tone by minute and rapid variations in pitch.

Now, how you producte a vibrato depends on the instrument. For a string instrument you do it by wiggling the finger that is holding the string down. If you have ever seen string players for long you will see them doing this. For singers is us usually a matter of both the throat muscles and breath support. All I know is that for me it is a lot easier to overdo it than to do it.

Usually it is a dramatic technique used to convey more feelings of sadness and fear in a song.

Proper vibrato is an indication that the entire mechanism is in balance NOT just about breathing.
If you are an opera singer singing for a 1000+ seat audience without a microphone, it's a natural part of a voice that has been trained to run at its highest efficiency because it HAS TO.

Improper vibrato goes from one extreme, from the goat-like fast vibrato you hear with many R&B singers or "Broadway" type stage kids you hear on Star Search, to the slow "wobble"
often heard in a church choir with many older singers.

Some vocal art forms, like "barbershop" sound better WITHOUT vibrato since the four parts can match each
other well with "straight" tones. Every now and then a little true vibrato creeps into my voice, so I have to keep an ear out for it.
Each genre will have its own parameters on what's appropriate
to keep the sound authentic.
(imagine Mick Jagger with an operatic version of "Satisfaction":))

Chris

great replies!

innovations, Yeh i play violin too so i know what you mean about the vibrato on that, but the weird thing is i had to LEARN how to do it on violin whereas with my voice it just happens.

Chess,

you say you keep an ear out for vibrato in your voice??? is it a bad thing for you to have???? what style do you sing?

I dont know if anyones heard of a band here in oz called SILVERCHAIR.

Their lead singer Daniel Johns has a GREAT voice. When he has held notes what he does is start smooth then increasae the vibrato as the note is sustained (slower and then faster).
it is very effective but when begineers try it it usually sounds so fake and "try-hardish".

keep those opinions coming.

y

As far as style(s) this is going to look like a "singer available" type ad!
Pop/rock, country/rock, soul (old school), standards, to name a few others.

For solo singing, any personal vibrato can be fine, however, for group ensemble harmony singing you can "match" tones better without it.

Yes, I've heard of Silverchair.
Remember an article about one of the members who still worked at a local record store even after they hit big.

Unfortunately the playlists on American radio are pretty limited
so there isn't as much exposure to different music as there should be.

Chris

Chriss, you just picked excelent example here :)

My voices is verrry verrry typical of Mick Jagger. Whenever I'm singing on stage, my audience sometimes ask me to play some older number from Rolling Stones, and hell, I'm very good on it :D I just kept wondering, that I have never heard any vibrato on Mick's voices... (or I miss something ?) I learnt breathing fairly regular for last six years, but I can't even heard any progress in my vibrato. In other word... no vibrato at all when I sing long sustained notes... So, is vibrato picky particular person ? Or anyone can achieve it if he learnt how to do it propherly ?

;)
Jaymz

There are actually 2 techniques you can use.

1. Vibrato-Which is varying the pitch of your voice.
2. Tremolo-Which is varying the strength or loudness.

Sometimes, I use a combination of both at the same time.

djc said:
There are actually 2 techniques you can use.

1. Vibrato-Which is varying the pitch of your voice.
2. Tremolo-Which is varying the strength or loudness.

It's written on my guitar multi effects manual :D

Jaymz, I used to "fret" about that myself.

For the genres that are truly "pop-ular" like typical Top 40 radio fare, it's fine to have a voice that has a pleasant (or better) tone and/or one with "character".

Mick has a fine lyric baritone voice IMHO, and he has long since mastered the Chicago style of blues singing. Particulary that dialect, along with some Lousiana influence (Nawleans).

He is sorely underated as a vocalist with the general public,
as that level of mastery is quite challenging.
Damn good blues harmonica player too.

Unless someone was shooting for a very sophisticated blues vocal sound ala Bobby "Blue" Bland, vibrato could easily sound too fake for that genre.

Jaymz, BTW your kind of voice can sound great recorded on a Shure SM57 or SM58, as you may know already.

Chris

P.S. Wyatt's recent book on the Stones is terrific.

Also wanted to point out Jaymz that if your audience is making requests like that...
Methinks your voice is more powerful than you realize.

We singers are our own strongest critics-except for those on American Idol! :)

Chris

Yeah Chriss !!! Shure ROCKS !!!
Got myself the classic SM58 & SM 57 for long time, and now few of SM58 Beta and SM58 Beta Wireless UT-4. I feel alot more comfort singing with them (even in the recording session) instead of condensers. Thanks for the infos about Jagger :) You were right, he's been underrated as one of the best singer for the genre for way too long. People tend to see him as great rock entertainer on stage without gave a damn about true power of his voices. Sometime I'm really proud to be called his typical :) Do you have any good example of his best technic I should listen ? In what song ?

;)
Jaymz

I suppose it's best to listen to Mick's stuff in terms of the body of his work. One of the things I really like about the Stones is how respectful they are of the entire Blues tradition. Including making a point to have had some of those Blues masters they admired, like Howlin' Wolf open their shows, etc.

If you get a chance, make sure to try a Beyer M88 (or M88TG) out sometime. It sounds like a "refined" SM57. Not "better", just different, and could be handy on ballad style material for your voice type as it has more air/detail than a 57 or 58.

Hope the other guys don't mind my Stones "fan" talk!
(throwing in a "gear" comment usually helps!) :)

Chris

Back