Explain this one:

PaddyGordon

I've set Logic to pre-fader monitor the tracks (For the meters at the bottom in the mixer)

My vocal track is apparently clipping by 5.7dB in some parts, yet the highest part of the wave.

If I put it side by side with a mastered track, it barely reaches the levels we can see in the wave, yet the mastered track doesn't clip.

Here's the audio file:
Jonny Jack.mp3 - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

And a screenshot:
Screen Shot 2012-03-22 at 23.09.59.jpg

Obviously it was recorded live, and I've checked all other tracks, but Logic insists that the first track is clipping before the fader even moves and any plug-ins are applied.

Obviously it was recorded live, and I've checked all other tracks, but Logic insists that the first track is clipping before the fader even moves and any plug-ins are applied.

Well....did it clip during recording? That would be my first choice. I am unclear about what you are trying to say in your third paragraph.

The wave would suggest it didn't.

Straight after recording also, I checked the peek meter at the top right of the fader. They always light up red if they clip (like channel 1 in the screenshot) and it hadn't.

Now it is, and when I open the audio file in iTunes it's clipping.

Seems a strange one, might be a bug in logic.

The only logical explaination I can think of is that you must have some plugins on the track that would make the track clip if the fader was at 0.0 dB, but the track doesn't clip (when PFL is off) because you have pulled the fader down some. So when you turn on PFL monitoring, the fader basically reverts back to 0.0 dB and is clipping because of the plugins.

Back