experimental folk music

ragata

Hello everyone,

I've been working on this song for some time (on and off for a couple of days) and I'm afraid I've gotten a bit carried away, especially with the low-end of the mix. Now it sounds a bit thin to me, but my "monitoring" isn't the best at the moment.
I know the vocals are extremely sibilant, probably bordering on harsh. Problem is, they're already quite heavily de-essed. I just chose the wrong mic for my voice I suppose.

Every comment is appreciated!

Hmh, not too bad here. Those Acoustics are nice, but they are at least 4db too loud! Try to lower the volume of those a bit. They bury everything else. I mean they are louder than the vocals and I have to consentrate to hear the other instruments/interludes there. I think by lowering those ACs it should give the space for the mix and allow it to "breathe" in more natural way. Also, please lower the mastering limiter a bit too.. I wan't some dynamics there thanks :rolleyes:

Last edited:
The tone and brightness of those acoustics....good stuff Ragata.

However, it sounds like you blasted the mix with some really intense limiting.

Maybe chill that back a bit, and let it breathe.

How did you track the acoustic guitars man?

Gear used?

Actually, I'm just limiting the peaks with <3db. Admittedly, there's some mild compression going on just before that too. I'll back away a bit and see if it helps!

Kainz:
You're probably right about the guitars - I suppose that since the song is like 75% based on them I automaticly pushed the faders. I'll definatly try lowering them a couple of decibels.

Finster:
Thanks man. Glad you liked it!
I miced a washburn dreadnaught with an adk sc-1 where the neck meets the body, maybe ten inches away or so. Then there's an adk a51e which was facing the window behind me where this was recorded. Some light chorus on the sc-1 and the two channels panned about 75% apart. That's pretty much it, besides some light eq adjustments and reverb.
I used some savaged Dynamix3000 input modules into a motu 2408mk2.

cheers :)

Ok, I've replaced the original mp3 with a slightly remixed one - I also added some additional synth parts, and also some fieldrecordings with forest ambience (birds, some creaks etc) here and there. Don't know if the birds were such a good idea though. Ah well.

Back