Experiment

wilko

Marking my territory
I did this one to practise using my drum machine and also to work on my eq and mixing and compression (which I have never used). It took quite a while but I think I am close. Any comments?

It is at www.soundclick.com/stelvincap

And is called "No Mail"

sounds pretty good to me, but i'd take the drum levels down a bit.

did you loop that harmonics lick? pretty tight.

everything sounds pretty slick. are you using acoustic instruments or is it midi/keys?

Nice song and good work-love those harmonics on the intro-they sound really cool. The slap bass works well in there as well-are the power chord the Tele? Sounds more Tele than Sheraton to me anyway.
Haven't seen any posts from you in a bit-hope all is well in New Zealand.

Hey this is pretty cool. I really like it. Don't listen to dross when he says to bring the drums down--what would he know, he's a drummer! :D Seriously, they work for me, but I'm known for liking my drums nice and loud!

It's great texture (the hallmark of loop pieces) but really nice variety as well (often lacking in loop pieces).

My only nit is the guitar tone. (Right after telling you not to listen to a drummer about drums, I'm gonna suggest you listen to a guitarist about guitars? Hmmm....) I think the heavy rhythm that comes in near the end is a bit synthetic sounding--the level of gain is coming across as sizzle. I'm guessing it's direct, but maybe with about half the gain and double tracking you'll get the "big" without the sizzle. Just a thought.

I know something is good when it makes me wanna go home and try it too! That's what this is doing...

Hey this is pretty cool. I really like it. Don't listen to dross when he says to bring the drums down--what would he know, he's a drummer! :D Seriously, they work for me, but I'm known for liking my drums nice and loud!

It's great texture (the hallmark of loop pieces) but really nice variety as well (often lacking in loop pieces).

My only nit is the guitar tone. (Right after telling you not to listen to a drummer about drums, I'm gonna suggest you listen to a guitarist about guitars? Hmmm....) I think the heavy rhythm that comes in near the end is a bit synthetic sounding--the level of gain is coming across as sizzle. I'm guessing it's direct, but maybe with about half the gain and double tracking you'll get the "big" without the sizzle. Just a thought.

I know something is good when it makes me wanna go home and try it too! That's what this is doing...

you and me, telly! it's on!!!! :D

Cheers folks! This was purely an experiment to make me practise with the gear I had.

I used mainly my drum box. The opening sequence is just looped. The bass in the beginning is looped to but triggered by me touching the pads on the drum box. Timing was a bugger! The thumb and slap bass was another patch on the drum box that I had to start and stop by hitting the pads... It took a bottle of wine and some patience to get the timing right!

The guitar is a patch on my BOSS, and I am working out how to adjust the parameters for that patch. It was fun doing though!:D

This is pretty interesting....
could use a few chord changes here and there though. Is it gonna stay instrumental? Really like the slap bass and the sound's pretty good. Keep it up!

Cheers
Joe

Back