expensive mics with not so expensive pre-amps?

"Less than stellar" doesn't necessarily equal "pile of shit".

true...but refer back to the 3rd reply where I said a Behringer pre....

I used 8 channels of Behri pres for my first year of recording and I instantaly noticed a differance when I started using higher grade pres with all the same mics...

Yes but op is asking about a firebox, not a behri. I know the firebox and firepod do not have the same pres but when I went from behri to firepod it was night and day. I suspect the firebox is miles above behri, as well. I am VERY capable of noticing huge differences in mics with the firepod. I do not believe I will notice as much difference when I upgrade my pre's. I have heard lots of people say the RNP is a huge improvement but I did not find that to be true. I think you'll find the 44 to be an improvement over the 27. If you're like me you can only upgrade a peice at a time anyway so if you find you need a pre later, you've already got a very nice mic for it.

I have really enjoyed my refurbed Blue Baby Bottle running through my Studio Projects VTB1 preamp. In the last month, a commericial I produced/voiced wth this setup made the front page of a major newspaper and a local musician recorded an award-winning song, saying his voice has never sounded better...

I don't believe my equipment made this happen, BUT it certainly didn't get in the way.

I also use the FMR-RNC compressor, on occasion.

If it was me, I'd get an M-Audio DMP3, or an SP-VTB1, and the best mic you can afford.

In the last month, a commericial I produced/voiced wth this setup made the front page of a major newspaper...

I don't believe my equipment made this happen, BUT it certainly didn't get in the way.
if a mic and preamp can capture a song that can make it into print, then it definitely deserves some consideration :p

true...but refer back to the 3rd reply where I said a Behringer pre....

I used 8 channels of Behri pres for my first year of recording and I instantaly noticed a differance when I started using higher grade pres with all the same mics...

Don't try to argue my point if you're talking about Behringer pres. :rolleyes:

I said Behri from the beginning...

My first respond to this thread:

an SM57 ($100) will sound better with a high end pre than the KSM44 will sound with a Behri pre....

you soon replied with...

Sorry, but saying buying a good mic and using it with a less-than-stellar pre is pointless, is retarded.

No one ever mentioned "less-than-stellar pre"... I mentioned a piece of shit...and although I know there are some cheap pre's, like the mentioned DMP3, that is awesome for the price, I still say it needs to be somewhat balanced....get a decent pre if you want your GREAT mic to show its worth..

I said Behri from the beginning...

My first respond to this thread:

you soon replied with...

No one ever mentioned "less-than-stellar pre"... I mentioned a piece of shit...and although I know there are some cheap pre's, like the mentioned DMP3, that is awesome for the price, I still say it needs to be somewhat balanced....get a decent pre if you want your GREAT mic to show its worth..

I wasn't responding to you.

I was responding to the general consensus that "Running a good mic through a sub-par preamp is pointless". Go back to the thread (and look at a few others in the microphone forum) to see what I'm talking about.

And the DMP3 is a clean pre. It will faithfully reproduce the signal from a microphone. Go back and read what Snow Lizard said.

Back