Expensive mic? Not necessarily necessary.

Guitar Jim

I've just listened to an amateur home recording. It was done with one cheap lapel mic. It was a solo recording of a lovely fiddle tune played on a mountain dulcimer. The recording sounded absolutely beautiful.
Yes, the tune is great, the dulcimer player is a suberb musician and the instrument is a magnificient one, BUT......... it was recorded with just a very cheap lapel mic.
Goes to show, you can get very good results with a cheap and nasty mic depending on how you use it and the type of music you play and instrumentation you use.
This is one case where cheap and nasty = good.

Some of those lapel mics use the Panasonic omni capsules similar to the capsule in a Behringer ECM8000, which can get quite a nice recording. I have no doubt it would sound nice on a fiddle and dulcimer.

Guitar Jim said:
I've just listened to an amateur home recording. It was done with one cheap lapel mic. It was a solo recording of a lovely fiddle tune played on a mountain dulcimer. The recording sounded absolutely beautiful.
Yes, the tune is great, the dulcimer player is a suberb musician and the instrument is a magnificient one, BUT......... it was recorded with just a very cheap lapel mic.
Goes to show, you can get very good results with a cheap and nasty mic depending on how you use it and the type of music you play and instrumentation you use.
This is one case where cheap and nasty = good.

I have'nt fiddled with a dulcimer in a while, but I did get some ketchup on my lapel not too long ago. As I was cleaning my lapel, I thought it was time to fiddle with a dulcimer again. So, I sorta made the connection, if you get my drift.

PhilGood said:
Some of those lapel mics use the Panasonic omni capsules similar to the capsule in a Behringer ECM8000, which can get quite a nice recording. I have no doubt it would sound nice on a fiddle and dulcimer.
Yep, like Phil sez - probably the same capsule. The EMC8000 has a built-in head amp tho... I have a stereo "lapel" type mic that I bought for a minidisc recorder I had and it sounds great for $50. But there are drawbacks with these type of mics - mainly noise.

Back