"Evil Little B". Low end sound OK?

Robertt8

Hey guys!

*Song has been updated to reflect lowered kick drum*
NEW TRACK

NEW TRACK is attached below as well and called "evil_little_b_2.mp3"

Here’s a new tune I’ve been messing with called (working title) Evil Little B.

I can never get the low end right so I’m hoping someone can give me some feedback.

Also, fresh ears are always good. Let me know if you’re hearing anything odd or even anything you might add to spice it up.

Thanks!

If anyone cares, here are the lyrics.

C / G / F / G (Key of C) 72bpm

She’s an (C) evil little bitch in high heel shoes
She (G) thinks she’s the shit, but she’s yesterday’s news
(F) (She) wearing bright ass colors like she’s Suzanne Somers, (G) Whoa!

She’s an (C) mean little bitch, act like she owns this town
She (G) can’t smell her own stench, from the waist down
(F) She’ll blow her smoke up your ass, but you should pass on it, (G) Whoa!

(C) Cuz she’s uptight / Always right
(G) Looking like a light bright
(F) Sipping on her vo(d)ka
In her (G) self imposed limelight

(C) She gonna get far / Caviar
(G) She’s Feeling like a rock star
(F) Pretending like your best friends
Until there’s nobody there

She’s an (C) evil little bitch, putting back Coor’s Light
She’ll (G) act like she’s slumming but it’s her real life
(F) She found some (brand) new friends so she can pretend it’s alright(G) Whoa!

She’s an (C) mean little bitch, I wish she’d go back home
She’s (G) burning through friends like a funeral home
(F) (She) leaves a path of destruction - we could use an abduction (whoa!)

Attachments

• Evil_Little_Bitch_72bpm_C-5.mp3
    5.6 MB · Views: 31
  • evil_little_b_2.mp3
    5.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Bass sounds good from what I can hear, but it's more behind the mix than in it to me.
Could partly be do the kick, which is pretty prominent for this style song. For me, it (the kick) sort of got in the way.

Kick is way way way too loud. Single loudest element in the mix by far.

Whatever volume maximizer or limiter you have on the mains is insanely hot.

Don't think I can comment on the low end until you knock that stuff into shape
Hey guys!

Here’s a new tune I’ve been messing with called (working title) Evil Little B.

I can never get the low end right so I’m hoping someone can give me some feedback.

Also, fresh ears are always good. Let me know if you’re hearing anything odd or even anything you might add to spice it up.

Thanks!

You can find a link here, but I’ll try and attach:

Here > View attachment 96720

If anyone cares, here are the lyrics.

C / G / F / G (Key of C) 72bpm

She’s an (C) evil little bitch in high heel shoes
She (G) thinks she’s the shit, but she’s yesterday’s news
(F) (She) wearing bright ass colors like she’s Suzanne Somers, (G) Whoa!

She’s an (C) mean little bitch, act like she owns this town
She (G) can’t smell her own stench, from the waist down
(F) She’ll blow her smoke up your ass, but you should pass on it, (G) Whoa!

(C) Cuz she’s uptight / Always right
(G) Looking like a light bright
(F) Sipping on her vo(d)ka
In her (G) self imposed limelight

(C) She gonna get far / Caviar
(G) She’s Feeling like a rock star
(F) Pretending like your best friends

She’s an (C) evil little bitch, putting back Coor’s Light
She’ll (G) act like she’s slumming but it’s her real life
(F) She found some (brand) new friends so she can pretend it’s alright(G) Whoa!

She’s an (C) mean little bitch, I wish she’d go back home
She’s (G) burning through friends like a funeral home
(F) (She) leaves a path of destruction - we could use an abduction (whoa!)

I like vibe of the song. Lyrics are...well, ungenerous. So be it. ;) I hear the late bass but didn't mind it. In fact, I think that's where the laid back, kind of floppy groove is coming from. The playing is pretty good. The vocal is also good. There are a few places where you might consider doing another take on a line or two, but overall the voice works in this song. I particularly liked your clarity in delivering the lyric.

Have you thought about adding a bridge? Just something to break out of the 3 chord progression that repeats throughout the song. If that bridge could add just a little bit of depth and insight to the speaker's own perspective, that would be fantastic. Why is he dissing this woman? Does he have maybe an inkling of awareness that he shares blame for the situation that has led to his anger toward her? Just some thoughts.

Kick is way way way too loud. Single loudest element in the mix by far.

Whatever volume maximizer or limiter you have on the mains is insanely hot.

Don't think I can comment on the low end until you knock that stuff into shape

What are you listening on? I didn't notice the kick being that insanely loud on the 3 sources I tried it on.

What are you listening on? I didn't notice the kick being that insanely loud on the 3 sources I tried it on.

2009 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan (no kicker lol)
AKG 240 MKII Cans

Way over the top on the low end, seriously overwhelming. Don't think it's just my ears - I listen to mixes in that car constantly (3 hours total daily commute). Others can chime in on whether I am smoking crack :-)

2009 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan (no kicker lol)
AKG 240 MKII Cans

Way over the top on the low end, seriously overwhelming. Don't think it's just my ears - I listen to mixes in that car constantly (3 hours total daily commute). Others can chime in on whether I am smoking crack :-)

Thanks Chuckduffy...can you give me a ballpark where it's too loud? around 100hz? 200?...any specifics would be helpful.

I like vibe of the song. Lyrics are...well, ungenerous. So be it. ;) I hear the late bass but didn't mind it. In fact, I think that's where the laid back, kind of floppy groove is coming from. The playing is pretty good. The vocal is also good. There are a few places where you might consider doing another take on a line or two, but overall the voice works in this song. I particularly liked your clarity in delivering the lyric.

Have you thought about adding a bridge? Just something to break out of the 3 chord progression that repeats throughout the song. If that bridge could add just a little bit of depth and insight to the speaker's own perspective, that would be fantastic. Why is he dissing this woman? Does he have maybe an inkling of awareness that he shares blame for the situation that has led to his anger toward her? Just some thoughts.

Thanks Robus! I wasn't originally planning to make this a full tune. it was originally just one verse, and kind of grew. I also have a fairly typical song structures on most of my songs, so I don't mind this on being more short and (hopefully) sweet.

I didn't notice a problem with the kick drum on the first mix, and it sounds fine here too. I'm hearing a little harshness in the mix when I turn it up--some brittleness in the midrange. It's here and there, but especially on the 3 of the measure in your verses. It could just be that the combination of that rimshot on the half-time snare and that clean skanking guitar is a little too loud. It might be that you have some midrange buildup going on. If so, the usual source seems to be limiting and boosting on the master bus. If that applies, you might try A/Bing with and without whatever you are doing on the master bus.

I've got a stupidly simple system for rooting out sounds that are harsh or grating. I turn my monitors way up loud, and then ask myself: What is making me want to reach for the volume knob and turn down?

During the first part of the piano lead section - around 1:20 - it gets a little muddy/indistinct, but when the piano goes up the register by 1:30 its better. The crash on left side is a little harsh to me, probably just a little lower in volume would do it.

Back