Ever wonder why the 960 was discontinued?

Harvey, are you saying they are continuing the 960 line?

Let us know what's inside. The specs say the capsule is 1.2" in the Genesis. First time in a while MXL hasn't said just 1".

Hmmmm....

I'm really hoping they put in a K47 capsule and a BV8 transformer.:D

But I guess that's wishful thinking.:o

I'm just glad I got a 960 before they pulled them. Wish I'd bought another.

Maybe I'll paint the body red...:D

Hopefully, the mic is really good.

For $600 I could buy a used AT4060 or a used GT MD3a, both of which are very good tube mics. Or I could buy a used Gefell MT71 or an AKG C414, both of which are very good FET mics. When manufacturers like MXL get into this price bracket, they really have to deliver because the competition certainly increases. If we are lucky, maybe this move into the $600-1000 mic bracket by what were bargain brand mics will result in some price moderation by the more established brands.

Wishful thinking, I know:D

Well, all I can say is that it's a dang shame if they drop the MXL 960. I spent a fair bit of time working on a vocal track tonight, and demo'ed a bunch of mics... several dynamics and a few Condensers. The 960 was a slam dunk over the others on the male vocal in question (deep baritone). Beat out a Bluebird, an MXL V67G, a CAD GXL 3000, and SM57, an RE18, and an RE11. Used it on a resonator guitar, too, and it sounded totally fab.

Another interesting comparison would be the MXL960 and the ACM6802 since the specs on paper are absolutely identical.

Yeah - I wondered about that as well. The ACM6802 is somewhat close in sound to the C414uls. Would be interesting to hear all 3 together.

Back