event vs event vs event

ikijapan

I've been researching getting some new monitors, but now I'm wondering how much of an upgrade I'd really be getting. Or if there is maybe a middle ground somewhere.

So, I have a pair of Event TR5s. The complaint I have with them, is they don't seem to reproduce the bass frequencies...at all. Of course they are only 5 inch woofers, so I never expected them to.

I was thinking of upgrading to the ASP8s because it seems like those monitors are a sure bet, and I wouldn't need to ever upgrade again. But then I was starting to wonder if the TR8s would be sufficient. I'm trying to run a demo studio of sorts, and I really am not satisfied with my TR5s at all, I find them very deceiving, and have to resort to using a pair of home speakers with a sub in addition to the TR5s, and am not sure if just upgrading to the larger 8inch woofer in the TR8s would be sufficient to get more detail.

Please help out if someone has any suggestions!!

There is a rather large difference between the tr8's and asp8's. If you're near a guitar center you should go in and try to haggle them down on the asp8's. I talked to a GC guy over at gearslutz who claims he can hook anyone up with asp8's for 700 bucks.

MessianicDreams said:
what about combining your TR5s with a sub? Could help you reproduce the 2-3 bottom octaves that you're currently missing..

That's pretty much exactly what I'm doing now. It doesn't seem very accurate. I usually switch back and forth to having the sub on or off. It sounds so drastically different when it's on versus off I started thinking maybe I should get better monitors. Maybe I should just keep workin with what I got?

Back