Event TR8 Monitors?

Picker

I was looking in to getting some monitors (setting up home-rec. studio for the first time P4 with Delta 66/Omni Studio and Cakewalk Sonar XL)

I really liked the Event Monitors (very nice flat response), but don’t know a whole lot about them and have been having a hard time finding any info on the net. Does anybody know anything about Event (esp. the TR8s)? They go for about $500 for the pair. Is there something better I should look into at this price range?

I have also discovered that they have a new version the TR8XL.

The difference is the XLs have a 150-watt amp (100 to bass 50 to the tweeter) and are about $100 more. Should I spend the extra $$ on the XLs (which I haven't heard -- so far only seen online)?

Supposedly, they have the same drivers etc... just a bigger amp.

1. Would it be worthwhile to have the extra power or are the
TR8s plenty as they are?

2. Would I lose anything by the upgrade? For example, do you suspect it would be more difficult to mix a lower levels or anything silly like that?

I wasn't just looking to get more volume, and no I don't want to spend more money needlessly, but I was more wondering if the increased wattage might actually help the overall response at lower volumes (although the ability to crank it if desired wouldn’t be a bad thing).

Do you think, perhaps, that the high wattage would be an improvement even at lower volumes (smooth out the response and support the 8" better etc.)?

i haven't had a chance to check out the Xl's.. but from what i heard they had a gloss looking cabinet, larger amps and could handle the lows better
the Tr8's i've also been looking at to add to my home setup... they have a smooth sound.. they're a little bright but not splashy. with out a doubt they're great monitors and they're easy to mix on.. are the xl's worth the extra $$ i'd hope so. but if you have a budget, get the TR8's.. for $450-500 they're workhorses..

Back