Event Studio 8 Problem

framos

Please don't tell me that I've blown my monitors.
Whenever I run my Event monitors for more than about 15 minutes above 3 on the input sensativity dial, I start to hear a crackle. It's not a thud usually associated with blown speakers, but a crackle. I admit that I probably shouldn't be running my monitors that high but sometimes I like to "rock out."
I used to record with Cubase, but lately I've taken a rest and I'm using the speakers to run my Itunes on a Mac G4.
I'm using my XLR input through a Delta 1010 and a very old mixer.
What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Framos

I own the precision 8's and I run the input trim maxed. I frequently crank the hell out of them and have no crackle,hiss,humm,buzz. Does it come from both or just one?

Both speakers are giving me the problem. I don't think it has anything to do with the cables. It accepts both unbalance and balanced cables. I think I'm going to try using 1/4" TSR cables. I didn't have this problem when I used TSRs. I don't know. I would just hate to spend an additonal $600 to replace them. As you can tell. I'm a relatively new to this thing.

Thanks.
framos

I run my Event ASP8s full tilt too, driven by a Benchmark DAC-1 - that's where I set volume along with mixer outputs on the DAW soundcard hardware.

I had crackle in monitors for 2 different reasons:

1. bad connection at the jack using 1/4" phone jack cables, switching to XLR fixed the connection issue. This was more or less intermittant and fairly loud - louder than -40dB I think.
2. wireless lan transmitter next to the point (within 2") where the cables connect to the DAC-1. This generated an intermittant crackle about -65dB or so. Moving the wireless lan about 12" away fixed the crackle.

Back