Event Monitors...longevity questionable???

zip

Begin Rant! ___

Shit - Damn - Shit!!!

One of my PS5's just died! It's only 3 months old!! To make matters worse now I've been reading that Event monitors are "prone" to blow!!

Anyone else have probs with them??

End Rant!____

To make things unbearable...the Event website is (or seems to be) off line....

AAaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

zip >>

I think it's the amp or power supply...

It cut off / on for awhile now won't turn on at all....

:(

zip >>

i know this may sound dumb ...but is there a fuse for you to check? i know my power monitors (studiophile's) they have a fuse for each amp. its worth a shot
good luck

This has more to do with Equipment Reviews. I think it might be better suited for that forum. Moving it there.

On a side note. A friend of mine runs a recording course at a local community college. He selected Event 20/20's for all the studios at the school because he tried to "blow" them up in stupid ways and could not. I have had my 20's for 5 years now, and have done some hideous things to them over the years, things that might have blown other speakers, and these puppies are holding up quite well.

The PS5's and 6's I suspect are a blemish in the Event reputation. The 20/20's are good monitors and have serviced many people quite well over the years. I have though heard more complaints about the P series stuff, so, possibly, they just aren't as good (cheaply made?). A shame that Event went for a "budget" monitor, rather than just staying with a known good product. It is the way of things now.

I always say, "Buy cheap, buy twice". Low end gear is just that, low end gear. It usually has problems.

Eddie

Would't you consider all Event products "cheap gear" though ed? I paid $299 for my 20/20's, and that's cheap for a monitor.

Slackmaster 2000

Indeed!!! I cannot believe that a quality monitor can even be made for that little!!! But the P series stuff is even less yet!

Funny, I bought a LOT of the common gear used for "budget" recorders when it first came out. Haven't had any troubles with any of it. Event monitors, ART pre's and Levelars, Behringer products, 3630 compressor even!!!! I have managed to get very acceptable results from all this gear.

I am not sure how people handle their audio gear, but I never seem to have problems with gear I buy new. I have NEVER taken a piece of gear back because of a defect that I can think of. But, maybe I am just lucky that way. Or, possibly manufacturing quality control drops off after the product has been initially released. Who knows.

It is sad that quality manufactures have had to start competing for the "budget" market. It is bound to happen that many manufacturing quality control checks, and even quality design work and high quality parts being used will go by the wayside in the attempt for a company to stay profitable. Something has to give!!! For now, people looking for the next "$50" LD mic, the "$100" compressor/limiter/gate/reverb, etc.... drive the market. They don't spend their money at studios, the very same studios that will pay extra for a quality piece of gear that will hold up to the rigors of studio use for years to come. They buy on their own, thus feeding the frenzy for manufactures to create producst that fit the consumers wants. But at some point, the consumer bitches about poor quality!!! LOL..... There is little incentive for manufactures to create high standards in their design and manufacturing techniques because:

1 - That means high retail price for the product.

2 - The people that WOULD pay the higher price are going out of business left and right (read: for-hire studios)

3 - They know that many of the "budget users" won't realize until it is way too late that the product wasn't a good bargain after all!

Oh well. At some point, something will give. It has to.

Eddie

A few things to say before you start on the "zip - you should know better than to buy cheap gear speal..."

I turned on the monitor today and it worked again. I guess it overheated but I have no idea why. I'm contacting Event to see what they can do...

Secondly. I very much agree with your "market analysis" Ed...

I realized when I bought the PS5 that they weren't the best. The issue I had at the time is one of sheer economics AT THE TIME.

I bought a Motu unit / Logic Platinum / a good mic AT4033 (at your reco) computer upgrades and on and on and on....

Do I have a "pro" setup? No! But I'm working slowly but surely on a decent one...

I had to skimp a bit SOMEWHERE. Did I skimp in the right area? Who knows.

What I do know is a set of monitors which cost $500 should last longer than 4 months without problems! I could fucking care less what demographic Event is trying to reach...

FOUR FUCKING MONTHS IN REDICULOUS!!

If Event really wants to start pushing crap then at least tell the fuckers to drop the price into the "genuinely cheap" range!

My next investment will be a pair of Genelecs....

Event is burning the bridge with this consumer...

zip >>

You think $500 for powered monitors is expensive?:rolleyes: Dude, my power amp cost almost twice that!!! And it is still in the "cheap" realm. Those PS5's ARE in the insanely cheap realm. That was the point I was trying to make. And what is funny is that they are in the upper price range of insanely cheap realm.

Monitors and microphones are the 2 things that it does not pay to skimp on!!! You will spend a considerable amount of time using both, and they are the two mechanical conversions that happen in audio recording.

Eddie

No.....

I did not say they were expensive. But you have to admit there are CHEAP monitors which can be had for much less than 500 a pair. If I spent 200 on CHEAP monitors I would EXPECT them not to last. (not to say I expected my PS5's to last for more than a few years)

My point is this...

I would venture a guess those monitors OUT THE DOOR - R&D and overhead costs included set Event back no more than 100 a pair. I've been in the manufacturing world and I know what markups are. So....

...If Event really wants to sell crap let them sell them for less than a 500% markup!

I KNEW they were inexpensive - I KNEW they were a temporary purchase until I can afford better. Hell - I've got $5000 Theil monitors on my stereo. (Purchased of course when "times" were better financially)

My point is this... $500 is still a decent amount of money - for audio or not...

I can buy a fucking fridge for my kitchen which will last 10 years for that amount of money.

I believe the audio manufacturing industry in entirety RIPS off the public because they are "specialty" items...

Well fine...mark something up 500%. Just make sure you have enough QC involved in the process to make it last more than a few months.

BTW....all of you out there buying Fairchilds and Drawmers and Appogies are all getting ripped off as well...

...it's the nature of the industry and the price we pay for having a "love" that is just starting to hit the mainstream...

Just wait 5 years to see the level of complete CRAP which will saturate the market then in the name of PROFIT.

zip >>

Ive had the PS5s for over a year. During that time theyve taken a beating. Ive monitored the POD, J-station, VSTs, drums, and mixed on them with no problem. They handle everything I throw at them.

Just thought Id share.

;)

Maybe I just got a bad one...

For inexpensive monitors they sound pretty good - I guess I just got a little wacked when one kept shutting down...

Like I said before - if I get a few years out of them until I can upgrade I'll be happy.

zip >>

I heard from Event...

They say they are going to expidite the process...

Maybe they have a known "infant mortality rate"??

In any case it sounds like good news...

:)

Back