Event 20/20 passives, $99 at GC

still4given

Got my ticket!
Right now I am monitoring through a pair of JBL 4412 monitors. I also have Yamaha NS1000's. These are both midfield monitors and I'm not sure I'm getting good transfer. I'm thinking I need a good set of nearfields.

I was at GC yesterday and they are blowing out some 20/20 passives for $99 each. Is this a good buy? I couldn't listen to the passive ones. I did hear the 20/20bas units and compared to the KRKV8's they sounded OK but compared to the Mackie's they had set up they didn't. Are the 20/20 passives as good or better than the bas models?

Thanks, Terry

IMNSHO, the bas 20/20's are unusable. Translation is horrible, crossover is apparent, etc.

On the other hand, the passive's are quite reasonable. I'm not exactly sure how they screwed up the powered ones, but I've been to several studios that use the passives with pretty good results. For $99, you can hardly go wrong, either. If you don't like them in a few months, you can probably get that much on Ebay for them.

John Scrip - www.massivemastering.com

Massive Master it all depends on your hears and your room...
i own 20/20's and all my mixs translate great.. the one and only thing i don't like about the 20/20bas's.. vocals.. vocals are louder through the 20/20's than they really are in the mix. i think this is due to its crossover point. you may think the vox are to loud but after listening to the mix in other systems, you'll see that they sit perfect.. but while mixing this can mess you up if you aren't use to it.. i've learned to work with it.. plus i have some akg270's to make sure the vox sit well.
i'll soon be getting the Event ASP8's.. they make the 20/20's sound like simple radio shack speakers.. the dynamics of the asp8's is 100% better than the 20/20's, the imaging, the bass.. etc.. overall they're great monitors.. i've a/b'd them in the same control room with mackies and gen1031's.. the asp8's were best to everyone's ears

Back