Evening out volumes with compression?

o0Charlie0o

I'm using a mesa triple rect.

My problem is that when recording, or playing live, my distortion channel is a nice volume, but my clean channel is much lower in the mix when i switch to it, even with the master and gain and everything that could make it loud, set all the way.

So i'm thinking maybe i could add a compressor in there with an expander/gate thing on it and even out the volumes, if so any suggestions?

My compressor is dual channel and has expander/gate, compressor/limiter, and peak limiter

All help would be appreciated because i have a show coming up soon and would like to even out the volumes

If I were you I would record the distorted guitar on one channel and the clean guitar on another channel. That will give you more control over each sound. Again, I don't really know your situation but that is an idea if you have the means...

Well yeah i have no problem doing the recording and adjusting levels, but i'm talking for a live situation (even though this is a recording forum)

How about turning down the distortion volume untill it matches your clean volume. Then just turn up your overall master volume? Or am i missing something?

i know on my amp there is a channel volume control for that exact purpose. If there is one of those that is what it is for.

Back