Even more equipment advice........

tennbidder

Allright guys here goes....................

I am selling some extra musical instruments and am taking the cash to outfit a small home studio (I'll probably have $4000 - $6000 to spend but I need to keep some cash aside for room treatment and CD duplication later.)

My recording will entail mostly me multi-tracking on Roland RD-700 keyboard, vocals, and acoustic string instruments (guitar, banjo, etc)

Here is a preliminary setup I am seriously considering http://www.bswusa.com/prod_item.asp?item=RECORDPKG1

Here are some questions that have arisen:

1) I plan to arrange my approximately 12X12 room to have a separate "solo recording area" within the room slightly isolated from from "control area". My purpose is to be seated appropriately in a nice chair and have the mics well positioned in fron of me while I play. QUESTION: Do any of the SIAB's have a remote control to start and stop recording from where I will be seated? Any solutions or suggestions?

2) The largest percentage of my recording will be folk/acoustic/bluegrass which, for me, precludes the need to mix down from 16 or more tracks. However, it seems to me that to get the nicer features of a better SIAB, the bigger the better. Comments?

3) The above setup I am considering has a nice Shure condenser mic and an SM-57. So far, so good. I am going to record an older gentleman soon who plays fiddle. This might mean me going to his home to set things up and record there since his health is failing. Would it be wise for me to purchase a unidirectional condenser mic so that I may isolate his playing away from mine? Should I purchase 2 condensor unidirectionals for this purpose? I see Rode sells a matched pair of NT-5's for around 400 bucks. I figure this purchase would allow me to record a solo instrument in stereo when I am in my studio. Am I thinking in the right direction here? A pro musician I respect comments favorably on Shure SM-81's. Would a pair of these do a better job (more $$ I know)?

Thanks in advance............I have spent hours on this forum just looking around. I figured this would be the best way to go before I spend a penny!

SM81's

I know a pro musician who also highly recommends the SM81's. I was looking at the Rode NT1000, he steared me toward the Shure. I have an SM57, great all around, general purpose mic.

Back