Evaluate my gear. Pick the weakest link!

rj

Please evalutae my setup. I have a few bucks to buy something and I wanna replace my weakest link.
Blueberry Blue,Cad 100e,sm57,48,58 mics.
Pod Line 6.
Layla, Lexicon core2.
450 PII 128 meg,2ultrawide scsiII's. Scsi cd and CDRW drives.
Event 20/20 powered monitors (the ones for 589$)
Alesis studio 24 mixer. (Hardly used except for recording drums)
Tascam 8 track 1/2 inch tape machine with noise reduction units.
Focusrite voicemaster.
Alesis stereo compressor (3630 I think, JUNK i know.)
Boss Dr202 drum machine.
Roland d110 synth with Ensoniq digital Piano keyboard.
I fee like I should gee the dbx 2 channel Tube preamp/wlimiter for 729$ at guitar center.
Or should I get 2 Joemeek vc6's.
Or maybe upgrade to the Mackie monitors/or Macki mixer, or maybe Neumann cheapie (900$) mic.
Please help. Opinions Aprreciated.

Gee...I wish I could afford a Neumann cheapie.

Considering your current setup as posted, I think your weakest link is the POD. If you don't have one already, Invest in a real tube amp so you can get some great guitar tracks through those cheapie mics of yours.

dmc

[This message has been edited by dmcsilva (edited 01-05-2000).]

Well, the Focusrite voicemaster is a pretty good pre-amp. (editors choice, as well as the blueberry, in eq mag)
but the 770. Does it have multiple outs? VERY important. I will look into that. Good suggestion.
and I have some cables coming already.
thanks for the input... so far..
Anyone else?

RJ (Rockin' & Jammin')

Suggest you upgrade your drum machine to the Boss 770. I just got one and it has some great grooves in the large pre-set section. Of course, you can create your own drum lines too. This is my third drum machine and it is the best; guess that's the way technology works - better, then better, then better yet.

I also suggest you get some good cables: one for your mic & vocals; another for feeding in your guitar/keyboard, etc.

Lastly, a good mic preamp would help you transfer good sounds from almost anything: vocal, syn, guitar, etc.

Whatever you have left over, give to your nephews to start their first studio.

Cheers,
Green Hornet

can't you load more drums into your Roland D-10? I know cards are not so easy to nab (looking for some too) but you can write plenty of drum tracks right in there.

Yes, as a matter of fact, I have the roland d110 (6 outs) connected to my boss dr202 (2 more outs) for a total of 8 outs on my drum setup. The prob is, the sounds in the d110 are old and sound like an old early 80's drum machine. Plus, I still cant trust the timing on midi drum tracks. I never know if its perfect or if its something else in the mix that is not grooving in time. Unless midi's timing is PERFECT, and I'm not talking 5 milliseconds, it would have to be less than 2 ms for me to feel good about it. And I dont think that is the case. I am using Cubase.
Once the tracks are laid down to disk, I dont care if there was fluctuation in the oroginal playback. At least it will always be the same from there on.
Am I psycho? Am I hearing ghosts? Is the midi timing always the same?

Five ms. That's pretty shabby. Isn't there an adjustment in Cubase like in CW where you can increase the resolution of your MIDI timing?

Adjusting midi timing?
That brings up an answer to my original question I received somewhere else.
LEARN YOUR GEAR BEFORE YOU BUY ANYTHING ELSE!
I am not a midi guy and actually, I'm kinda being a whimp when it comes to learning more about it. Fear of the unknown. So I just lay down the drums to audio files and I don't have to learn how to correct the midi timing.
I suck.

Back