EV RE10/RE11 - Pro mics dirt cheap - with clips

hairylarry

Hi,

The EV RE series still has several microphones in production most notably the famous and ubiquitous broadcast/recording mic, the RE20. The RE55, now out of production is widely regarded as one of the best dynamic omnis ever made and I've never seen it sell for under $150, an extremely high price for an omni. Still some of the other discontinued mics in the RE series can be a great bargain.

The RE10 and RE 11 are the same mics except the RE11 includes a built in pop filter. The RE15 is the same mic as the RE10 and the RE16 is the same mic as the RE11. The 15 and 16 were subject to a selection process after quality control. Essentially what EV did was make a batch of mics and the ones that fell within a certain narrow spec became RE15s or RE16s and the others became RE10s or RE11s. This way if you needed a matched pair, say for stereo recording of an orchestra or string quartet, you could use any two RE15s or any two RE16s.

This is not to say the RE10s and RE11s are of lesser quality. They are in fact the same microphone and were subject to the same quality control. They just didn't have the selected tight response that would let you use them as a matched pair.

Pics and specs on the RE10 and RE11 are here.

http://www.coutant.org/evre10/index.html

http://www.coutant.org/re11/index.html

The links above also have a sound clip for each mic.

The PL11 is the same as the RE11 just like the PL20 is the RE20 and the PL5 is the 635a.

The mics have a switch for bass rolloff or flat. The bass rolloff starts at 700 hz and is about 5 db down under 100 hz.

These mics are super cardiod, that is highly directional with off axis response minimised at 150 degrees as opposed to most cardiod mics minimised at 180 degrees.

Frequency response is 90-13,000 hz so you will probably not use these mics for bass instruments. Still this might be misleading. The frequency response graph shows the mics down only 3 db at 90 hz at down 10 db at 50 hz so the lower frequencies are there, just attenuated.

I have one of each and I would describe them as very similar in spite of the larger head and pop filtering in the RE11. I would not hesitate to sing through the RE10. They would be excellent choices for horns or guitar cabinets as well as vocals. I have also used them recording acoustic guitar. I also think they would make good percussion mics especially for auxiliary percussion like guiros and tambourines.

For dynamic mics they have a very crisp and detailed top end. I would say that this is the unique quality that makes them stand out from most dynamic vocal mics. Like all EV mics I have used they are reliable solid performers whether recording loud or quiet sources. Since they are dynamics they are excellent for live performance mics as well as for recording.

Unlike the RE20 mics these mics are undervalued on the used market especially if they are rough looking as many of these workhorses are. My RE11 looks like a typical used mic with lost paint and nicks and dings. My RE10 looks much worse with a caved in windscreen and the little grill on the handle completely missing. Still, it sounds great.

Now for the undervalued part. Here is my actual cost including shipping on ebay.

RE10 - $22.31
RE11 - $37.95

If they are cosmetically perfect they will usually run between $50 and $100 which is still a good bargain for their quality.

I used them as a stereo pair recording my song, "Mississippi Sax" with the RE10 on the left and the RE11 on the right.

Here's a link to a high quality VBR mp3.

http://www.archive.org/details/vidpods

And here's a link to the video.

http://www.archive.org/details/mississippi_sax

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

Last edited:
These mics sound fantastic! They are actually selling these around 100 bucks on ebay. I wonder if its better than 58beta :cool:

Yep, these mics rock.

I'm a proud owner of a RE-18 - awesome sounding mic...one of my favorites for vox. It can sound really ballsy on acoustic guitar through a nice tube pre.

no one gives any love to the pl6.

it's a kick ass guitar amp mic, and sometimes the thing on snare.

Guys, my best advice would be to let this thread die, and don't start others like it.

Right now, I rather like the fact that EV mics can be had so cheap on Ebay. So much so in fact, that I would like to keep it that way, if at all possible. :D

Thank you for your cooperation.

PL6 and PL9

giraffe said:
no one gives any love to the pl6.

it's a kick ass guitar amp mic, and sometimes the thing on snare.

Hi,

I don't know anything about the PL6. But I've been looking for PL9s. They look like they are great dynamic omnis. And I can't afford the RE55s.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

These mics aren't for sale

Hi,

This is a microphone review. The dollar amounts listed are what I had to pay for them and are meant to be informational. Sorry for any misunderstanding.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

hairylarry said:
Hi,

This is a microphone review. The dollar amounts listed are what I had to pay for them and are meant to be informational. Sorry for any misunderstanding.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry
....uh....oooops.... :o :rolleyes: :D

I picked up a fairly clean RE-16 for $50 from craigslist.....and thought I had gotten a killer deal....those were great deals on RE-10 and RE-11.... :)
Glad that they're getting good use...

Anybody know anything about the RE-18? My brother inherited one. I played with it very briefly on a distorted guitar cab, and thought it was nasally sounding compared to a 57, but haven't really messed with it beyond that. Wondering what it might be good for, as I don't really have the time to experiment with it a lot.

chessrock said:
Guys, my best advice would be to let this thread die, and don't start others like it.

Right now, I rather like the fact that EV mics can be had so cheap on Ebay. So much so in fact, that I would like to keep it that way, if at all possible. :D

Thank you for your cooperation.

haha...yeah. i never ask "what do you think about the soandso's for monitoring?"

there's a thousand people on here that probably already have a window with ebay going.

RE18 info

Gonny said:
Anybody know anything about the RE-18? My brother inherited one. I played with it very briefly on a distorted guitar cab, and thought it was nasally sounding compared to a 57, but haven't really messed with it beyond that. Wondering what it might be good for, as I don't really have the time to experiment with it a lot.

Gonny,

Here's a link to the specs.

http://www.coutant.org/evre18/index.html

Quoting EV

"The RE18 is much liike the RE16, except that it employs a unique internal shock mount and a refined, low profile blast filter."

"A humbucking coil has been added to the RE18 ... gives an additional 25 db of hum rejection"

So I guess it's an enhanced RE16 for stage and video production use where lighting and other electronics could cause hum.

The reason it sounds nasally compared to an SM57 is the Variable D design reduces proximity effect. The SM57 is a cardiod dynamic with great proximity effect. So a singer used to using an SM57 close, working the proximity effect will probably not be happy with this mic.

That said it is still one of the most desirable mics in the series of RE10/11/15/16/18.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

That's a good deal

whyseye said:
....uh....oooops.... :o :rolleyes: :D

I picked up a fairly clean RE-16 for $50 from craigslist.....and thought I had gotten a killer deal....those were great deals on RE-10 and RE-11.... :)
Glad that they're getting good use...

Whyseye,

Ok, first the RE16 may be the most desirable mic of those we've been discussing. And the RE10 is the least desirable. This is funny because they are all essentially the same mic but it is nonetheless true.

So a fairly clean RE-16 for $50 is probably a better deal than my RE-10 that looks like it was run over by a truck. At least from a resale point of view. And possibly from an audio recording point of view too. It does have the vocal pop filter and the tighter spec.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

mrbowes said:
Yep, these mics rock.

I'm a proud owner of a RE-18 - awesome sounding mic...one of my favorites for vox. It can sound really ballsy on acoustic guitar through a nice tube pre.

I'm a new proud owner of TWO RE-18's...just picked two up off Ebay WITH metal case for $68 less than a month ago. And they both look like brand spankin' new. :D

They look nice right along side my RE-20 (with case) that I picked up for $250 - that too, looks like it was never out of the box.

Good thing EV mics are out of vogue (and will be for a while during this chinese/russian mic craze). Eventually the chinese and russian mic fad will wear off and then we can scoop up some Oktavas on the cheap.

hairylarry said:
Whyseye,

Ok, first the RE16 may be the most desirable mic of those we've been discussing. And the RE10 is the least desirable. This is funny because they are all essentially the same mic but it is nonetheless true.

So a fairly clean RE-16 for $50 is probably a better deal than my RE-10 that looks like it was run over by a truck. At least from a resale point of view. And possibly from an audio recording point of view too. It does have the vocal pop filter and the tighter spec.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

You're probably right. I think of RE-10s & RE-11s as podium mics. In fact, just last week I was speaking at a conference last week in Lansing, MI where RE-11s were on the podium.

As for RE-15s, I think of them as acoustic guitar mics. Tom Scholz of Boston fame used the RE-15 to record acoustic guitar on the 1st Boston album (he also used just three SM-57s for the drum kit which was in a closet in the basement of his apartment).

I've never used an RE-55; by graph, it looks like it has potential to be a good overheads mic. Anyone ever use the RE-55 for overheads???

RE10/11 vs RE15/16

Damn Yankee,

I'm a Damn Yankee too. Transplanted from Chicago to the Mississippi Delta, Arkansas side.

The RE10 is the same mic as the RE15. The RE11 is the same mic as the RE16. Instead of selling matched pairs for stereo recording EV selected mics with a certain frequency response and labeled them RE15 or RE16.

So if you want a stereo pair any two RE15s or any two RE16s will do.

This is why the RE10s and RE11s are such a good buy, especially for vocals, guitar cabs, horns, etc where you don't need a stereo pair.

The RE18 is an RE16 with better shock mount and hum rejection designed for video studios and other applications where a lot of electronics is present.

I can't afford a pair of RE55s but I bet they would make great overheads. Also great for stereo recording of symphony orchestras or chamber music. That's what they were designed to do.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

Wow...I didn't know that about the EV RE's. So that explains why Harvey says most EV RE's have a place somewhere in the studio. 10s/15s, 11's/16's, 18's, 20's, 200's....

I have to find me some RE-55s...but it seems they all died. The early 655s is the 55's precurser and those are dead and buried too.

hairylarry said:
Damn Yankee,

I'm a Damn Yankee too. Transplanted from Chicago to the Mississippi Delta, Arkansas side.

The RE10 is the same mic as the RE15. The RE11 is the same mic as the RE16. Instead of selling matched pairs for stereo recording EV selected mics with a certain frequency response and labeled them RE15 or RE16.

So if you want a stereo pair any two RE15s or any two RE16s will do.

This is why the RE10s and RE11s are such a good buy, especially for vocals, guitar cabs, horns, etc where you don't need a stereo pair.

The RE18 is an RE16 with better shock mount and hum rejection designed for video studios and other applications where a lot of electronics is present.

I can't afford a pair of RE55s but I bet they would make great overheads. Also great for stereo recording of symphony orchestras or chamber music. That's what they were designed to do.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

Back