EV mic, cheap on ebay

Hey thanks, hairylarry. That's helpful stuff. It looks like EV has those archives linked from their site. I missed that and wasn't turning up much with searches. It looks like an interesting mic but perhaps not exactly what I've been looking for. I've been looking out for something that might be a cheaper alternative to an RE20 or an SM7.
People (I believe you did on another thread) have mentioned some of the older EV mics as a possibility (followed by complaints that the prices had all shot up on ebay:rolleyes:).

Peavey and Beyer

Caotico,

The Peavey 520i is a candidate. Harvey Gerst recommends the Beyer M400 Soundstar.

I have both of these mics since I, like you, cannot afford the SM7. The Peavey is great. Very versatile. I just got the Beyer (Thanks Harvey for the rec) and it sounds great but I haven't really used it yet.

Basically you're looking at $50-$100 for the Peavey and $100-$150 for the Beyer. The Peavey 520tn is the same mic as the Peavey 520i.

That said the EV mic you're looking at is the same kind of mic as the SM7, an extended frequency range cardiod dynamic vocals mic. I don't have one but for under $50 this is probably actually a good mic.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

thanks again for the info. The one I first posted does like like a pretty good deal, but I'll probably hang onto my money for the moment (or not spend money I don't have).

the raven looked like a pretty good deal with that buy one get one free link. I haven't read too much about it on here. Anybody used it?

the sm57 mod sounds like a decent option, but at 185 isn't too affordable for me right now. I've seen some RE15s for fairly reasonable prices, as well as some that seem a little over priced. The M400 (mkII, right?) isn't showing up very often. There was one on the bay yesterday for something like 130 and one of the peaveys at somewhere around 150 (fairly high based on hairylarry's price description.

this looked like a pretty sweet deal too. Anybody used these?.
http://cgi.ebay.com/EV-electro-voic...yZ133004QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'll probably have to sell off at least one of my condensers soon to pay for a dynamic mic. There are too many sound variables in my appartment (including the frequent roar of the building's beastly gas water heater which I have the privilege of hosting in what would have been a storage closet--with no discount in rent!) and I need to have those noises at least knocked down a few decibels.

So, I guess I may not be purchasing right away, but I'm planning on getting something at some point here, so any info is helpful. Thanks again.

Re11, Re16, Re18

Caotico,

Both the Peavey 520i and the Beyer M400 Soundstar Mk II are finds. They are not always available. You kind of have to wait until the right deal comes around.

You can, however, see a Beyer at around $150 Buy It Now fairly regularly. I always wait and try to buy a used item from an individual who knows what he's got. Savings over Buy It Now can be pretty good.

The EV RE15 is the same mic as the RE10. The RE11, RE16, and RE18 are the vocal mic versions in this family. The RE10 and RE11 go the cheapest and if you get one that's cosmetically impaired it can be real cheap. Still the pretty ones will hold their value better and the market for used EV mics is trending up.

The RE series mics are different than the SM7 or the Peavey or Beyer. They have a reduced proximity effect. So if you like to wallow around in all that bass this isn't the mic for you. Or even if you just like to lean in close to thicken up your bass parts a little bit. It's kind of like singing vocals into an omni. Which if you don't need proximity effect is not a bad idea.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

hairy Larry,
thanks, that seems about right with what I've seen on the beyer and the peavey. I'll just keep an eye out for it. Helps me not be in much of a hurry anyway.

ha! the EV mic I listed in the original post ended up going for more than the original buy it now price.

A PVM 520i went for 95 with shipping today. I guess I'll be saving up some pennies for something like that.

Back