EV Cobalt Co9

Kaze

I can pick one of theese unused for pretty cheap. Like $50 cheap. How good is this mic for recording vocals? I am starting to build my home studio now. I dont really wanna spend $200 for an NT1 or anything though since i do not have a vocal room. It would be more used for pre-production. So hows the quality? Is it better than the SM58? Maybe the SM58 Beta? Thanks!

Wish I could help you. I bought a Co9 and a Co4 years ago at GC when they were dirt cheap during a sale. I've used the Co9 primarily as a live mic for gigs and stuff. Never tried using it the studio. If I manage to free up some recording time this weekend I'll give it a shot and let you know how it sounds.

Depends on your type of voice.

On my (bright) voice, a bright mic like this one can easly cause ear bleed.:)
The Shure Beta series and the NT1 or NT1-A are also bright.

An issue with the Shure's is their fussiness towards which pre you use.
I have a M-Audio Duo (like DMP3) and can get good vocal quality out of a SM57. BTW the cheapest upgrade from a SM58 is a '57 because the different
configuration(foam/mesh) on a SM58 causes it to lose some "air" on a vocal.

Another pre for under $150 that works well with a Shure is the Studio Projects VTB-1. Only sold my VTB-1 to get the software that came along with the Duo to try computer recording out.

Sometimes you can score a used Electro-Voice EV 635a on ebay for about $60. Mellower top end than most budget condensers.
They're much less fussy than the Shure's when it comes to "which pre".

Despite being omni pattern, you can "eat" the 635a close up, plus it's much easier to place vs. a cardiod pattern since it's omni (no proximity effect).

A worthy alternative to the SM57 is the Shure 545 series, and they usually sell for less $$ used. A 545 was used for ALL the lead vocals, for example,
on "Pet Sounds".

Chris

bvp663 said:
Wish I could help you. I bought a Co9 and a Co4 years ago at GC when they were dirt cheap during a sale. I've used the Co9 primarily as a live mic for gigs and stuff. Never tried using it the studio. If I manage to free up some recording time this weekend I'll give it a shot and let you know how it sounds.
Thanks for your input guys.. And BVP id appreciate that if you test it out in your studio. Thanks!

Hey Kaze,
Noticed you live in Seattle. Right now you can pick up a Cobalt Co11 at A# Music in Renton for $59. I've been looking for some reviews or advice on that mic today too.

Anybody?

A

Aaron Cheney said:
Hey Kaze,
Noticed you live in Seattle. Right now you can pick up a Cobalt Co11 at A# Music in Renton for $59. I've been looking for some reviews or advice on that mic today too.

Anybody?

A
That location is old.. Im actually in Anchorage Alaska atm :( Probably wont be back in seattle for years to come. Im in the process of getting ready to join the Air Force. Where do you live? I used to live in Lynnwood.

Back