Ev 666

hairylarry

Hi,

I've been looking at a vintage mic, the EV 666. Has anyone used this mic? I think it's the precursor to the ever popular RE20 aka PL20.

It was a broadcaster's standard back in the day. Walter Cronkite and all of that. It has great specs and a flat response very similar to the RE20. I'm wondering how it would be for recording, will it handle a bass drum, and how good of a vocal mic it might be.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

I think it's cool as hell.

It's got midrange for days, smooth response, etc. Not what I'd call a flat mic. It's all about the midrange. Very colorful mic, and probably much different than anything you've ever used or thought of using. Fantastic on a guitar amp or rock vocal.

Definitely not scooped enough (too much midrange) for a more modern kick drum sound or modern pop vocal track, though. Very old-school sounding in that regard, which could actually be a very good thing depending on your preferences.

666, 666r, 667

chessrock,

First I want to thank you for steering me onto an AT4054/4055 in a post from last year. I put them on my search list on ebay and ended up scoring an AT4054 for the rediculously low price of $110. Since that time I've never seen one go close to that cheap and the 4055s are higher than the 4054s.

On coutant.org they have a page on the 666, 666R, 667. The 666 shows a very flat response between 40 and 15K. The 666R has more of a bass rolloff, down about 12db at 40. The EV text also says the 666R has a rising frequency response, "rises 4 1/2 db from 100 to 2000 cps."

http://www.coutant.org/666r/index.html

It doesn't really matter since I've never seen a 666R for sale but the 666 mics go ocasionally for $100 +change.

The 667 is a really cool beast with a preamp that allows you to dial in your bass rolloff and your mid/high peak. Of course I get to use the 667 only in my dreams. You can't find one and if you find one you can't afford it. The preamp looks super vintage cool all silver and shiny.

Anyway the 666 has definitely made it onto my wish list.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

Ev 676

Hi,

I found this resource where the 676 mic is listed.

http://www.ronharter.com/microphones.asp

They post many spec sheets but unfortunately no spec sheet for the 676.

It seems to be popular with Ham radio operators. But then again so are Heil mics.

I found some ads here.

http://reel2reeltexas.com/vinListE.html

Looks like it was designed for broadcast, vocals and announcing. 60-15000 hz. Originally sold for $50-$60 in the sixties.

Same as 674 but no switch or stand. Unidirectional cardiod dynamic.

I think the 666 was the high end mic at the time. It sold for about $150.

A 674 sold on ebay last December for 31.50 shipped.

Ok, I found the specs.

http://www.hamanuals.com/S1/CX7_root.html

Under Electrovoice Microphones specs for the 664 and 676 in pdf files.

When I did the "Something Blue" radio show I spoke into my 664, another vintage EV mic.

The 676 is more of a recording mic with the bass roll off from 800 hz down to 100 hz. It was designed for broadcast and recording as well as announcing. The 664 was designed for announcing over a PA like in a school auditorium.

I would try the 676 anywhere you would use a cardiod dynamic. Vocals, guitar cabs, horns, even drums.

As you can tell I'm into this stuff.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

Last edited:
bad translation

Hi,

I read that that was a mistranslation and the number of the beast is actually a different number.

Of course if you're a fundamentalist all mistranslations are inspired by God. At least mistranslations in the King James Version.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

hairylarry said:
Hi,

I read that that was a mistranslation and the number of the beast is actually a different number.

Of course if you're a fundamentalist all mistranslations are inspired by God. At least mistranslations in the King James Version.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

OK so do you know the correct number of the beast or has it been lost in mistranslation??

The meaning of life

slidey said:
OK so do you know the correct number of the beast or has it been lost in mistranslation??

No, but I know the answer to the meaning of life, the universe, and everything.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

beast of a microphone

666- the beast
664 -next door to the beast
667- across the street from the beast
211 Maple -around the corner from the beast

I have a 664 and am very happy with it!

Really gives me the vintage vibe for my rockabilly style vocals :D

It was used on the very first track of my first CD to record everything in mono, about two feet out from my chest... it caught my guitar and vocal and gave me just the right kind of sound, with reverb and slapback.... It rocked!

Ev 664

Hi,

The EV 664 sold about a million. It was the standard PA mic everywhere. Hence it is now available pretty cheap and easy to find.

It was not designed to be a recording mic but of course many people recorded with it. I was at Joe Lee's and I saw his 664. I told him it was the mic I used for Something Blue and he said he used it to record at Alley Records.

He recorded Bobby Lee Trammel's hit "The Arkansas Twist" and just about everybody in Northeast Arkansas including Ike Noble, Larry Donn, The Pacers, and Charlie Rich.

You don't get more rockabilly than some of the stuff he recorded.

And he's playing in downtown Jonesboro, April 2.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

Back