EV 666 Cables

freshmattyp

OK, so I bought a 666 with no cable. I cannot for the life of me find a cable online. I called EV customer service, they showed 4 in stock, but could't actually find any. From what I've been able to research, these may still be made in Australia by Alcatel, but so far, I'm not having any luck.

Are there any other EV or other brand Mics that used this connector, that I may be able to get on the cheap?

Please help if you can.

Thanks

Are you talking about the old Cannon connectors which were the precursor to the common modern XLR we have now? Almost like an XLR but no clip to put it in place. How bout if you make a wire with the older cannon connector and XLR on the other side??
Im not sure whatcha got and my laptop is dying so I have to cut my search short...

Yes, that's the one. There was another thread recently that talked about wiring a regular XLR, I'll check that out as a last resort.

All I can say if EV doesn't have em is good luck!

They are a discontinued item and if you find a source, you are probably buying new old stock....be sure to post if you find em. I have 2 of those mics and only one proper connector.

The other does run quite happily with a rewired XLR though once you get exhausted searching.;)

Just be sure to wire it properly.

heylow

I may have to resort to buying another EV mic that uses the same connector.

I'll keep you posted. I'm working on a source right now.

As I recall, they weren't all that "cheap" from EV in the first place...

I have a 666 around here someplace with an altered XLR cable...
I seem to remember the pins are the same, but the housing prevented the XLR plug from working with the 666.
Saw away part of the housing and I believe you will solve your problem...

Do you mean the pin size or pin OUT?

The pinout is NOT the same but the pin size is fine. The XLR works fine....it's a bit small in the cannon jack and it doesn't lock in but it works fine.

Jeeez....waddaya think....I'm lying?:D

heylow

I have called high and low, searched every nook and cranny of the internet, and found exactly none of these. The rumor that they are still made in Australia turned out to be false. There are 2 666's for sale on ebay, but the guy wants $400 apiece

Heylow, do you have a diagram for rewiring? Bear in mind, I have the soldering skills of your average baboon.

It's not too tough....don't sweat it.

Basically, on the mic, pin 1 and 2 are the coil, and pin 3 is ground. This is a bit off from the way normal mics are pinned. The best thing to do is go buy a short XLR cable and rewire one end.....about 3 feet or so should do or cut a couple of feet off of an existing long mic cable and buy the end. This way, instead of having a long cable that is only wired for one mic, you have a short one that will plug into normal mic cables....hope that makes sense.

You would leave the mixing board side of the XLR as is and solder the mic end so pin 3 on the mic corresponds to pin 1 on the XLR, and 1 and 2 go to the two signal pins (2 and 3) on the XLR.

Just take your time....shouldn't be a problem. If it is.....do what I USED to do....take this message to your local music store and have the tech do it for you. It shouldn't cost more than a few bucks.....I mean, it's a 10 minute job.

Good luck!

heylow

PS I DO have an old spec sheet in PDF format as well if you want me to send it to you.

Matty,

Damn dude....shouldn't sneak up on a brither like that!:p

Yep....that's it....I even double checked mine to make sure! I'll send the PDF as well.

Like I said, the fit isn't as nice as the regular cannon but the job gets done. I mean, even if you want to continue the search for the "right" connector, at least the mic is usable this way. Who wants to just let a cool new gear purchase sit?

And be careful with that mic...they don't repair them anymore!

heylow

:D

I'm still looking, but I'm going to do the cable this weekend. I have a vocalist coming in that I think will sound killer on this particular mic.

The quest continues...

Back