EV 664...What's It's Best Use?

Village Idiot

The Love Butler
Hey Ya'll...

My buddy brought over his vintage Electro-Voice 664 mic.
We fooled around a bit with it.
Looks like a incredibly well-built mic.

What would be the best application to use this mic on musically?

Thanks!

VI

I don't know if it's really cut out for recording... Ham radio, Public Address, yes.

However, you could always throw it in front of an amp and see what it sounds like... You never know...

If you don't like it on anything, it makes a handy weapon also. :rolleyes:

John Scrip - www.massivemastering.com

...on kick if you dont have a dedicated kick dynamic

When I got my EV 664 a year or so back, I initially compared it to a sennheiser e835, and a sm57. It definitely has it's own sound happening in comparison (not as smooth or detailed as the e835 on vocals, and not as ‘midrangy’ as the 57). I would not call it a 'jack of all trades' dynamic mic, perhaps like the sm57.

But, I found that this thing works on kick drum! I don’t have a frequency response chart to confirm what I’m hearing, but when I was auditioning mics for a particular demo (see ‘baobab’: http://www.nowhereradio.com/teainthesahara/singles ), the 664 gave a better balance of the click and low end from the drum. That is, I was able to place it closer to the beater than any of the other dynamics I had, and it still picked up enough low end nicely, so that in the end, I needed very little eq or none to get the sound I was after. I liked it so much that its pretty much become my kick drum mic (until I pick up something that’s worth 10X the price – and that would mean getting out of school and getting a job :eek: ). All the recordings at that link use 664 on kick.

T

You could use it as a prop if you happen to do any rock videos.

I've noticed it's become kind of the "in thing" to sing in to one these days because they look kewl and vintage.

Foregoing the valuable advice from Chessrock and Masive Master
:rolleyes: I tried this mic out on my kick drum per the suggestion from teainthesahara...

And he was right...
This mic sounds really good as a kick drum mic.
I had it inside the bass drum 2/3 of the way in, amd I got a surprisingly tight, clean kick sound.

I'm gonna use this on the next tune I track, and I will post the results.

Impressive...

Thanks, teainthesahara!

VI

On a more serious note . . . I don't think I've ever heard an electrovoice mic that wasn't usable. Most tend to range from very good to great, in fact. And even the 30 and 40 year-old ones still seem to work great. Some of the best dynamic mics ever made were by Electrovoice in the 60's and 70's.

Back