Ev 478 or SM57?????

raven46

After a year or so break I've started to get back into recording. I'm sick of the cold sterile lifeless feel of amplitude, guitar rig etc I want to start recording my amp so I did a little test recording using my SE 2200a, first on my pix12 pratice amp then my Vox ad50 into a 4x12 70's Marshall cab and was very pleased with the way it work out but I need a more focused instrument mic. I've been recording for 5yrs and this was my frst time micing up an amp. I will be getting a nice little tube amp soon so I want to have some pratice in before that.
Any mic suggestions that I should look at in the similar price range? I tune from Eb to C standard if that makes any difference. I'm unsure about the EV as there is very little online about it hence my post so sorry if this is an overly talked about topic. Search function reveled nothing on the 478

Interesting (and perhaps atypical?) little bump in the mids on that one. Never seen that EV N/D but always curious about a different mic though.

Since I bought online I went for the 57 as I could'nt find enough reviews of the 478.

Another Q

What is a good mic in around the same price as a 57 for recording bass? I've read people say kick mics are great but others say not. I've also read people say they get by with a 57 but what about below 40Hz

Opinions on the Shure beta 52A or AUDIX D4 or D6(My max price)?

Back