Ethernet vs audio

brendandwyer

I should know this, but i don't.

Is there a risk of interference if i run a length of cat5e in the same conduit as my drum room snake?

Thanks!

I've had ethernet cable running near my studio equipment and have never had a problem before, but that's just my experience. I've had all sorts of other crazy interference problems I never though possible, so hopefully others can weigh in as well.

I'd imagine the signal strength running through the ethernet cable isn't terribly high (unlike running say, a power cable through with your snake cable), so I'd imagine you won't run into problems. But, unless others come up with confirmation that it will/will not interfere, you might have to do an out-of-wall test (run the snake on the floor with the mics on, and run an active ethernet cable along side it just to see what happens)

kessel said:
I'd make sure you've got shielded ethernet cable just to be sure.
i only have UTP

well. i'll try it, if it doesn't work i'll pull the cable back out and use it elsewhere. thanks for the help :)

Try lying them together side-by-side on the floor and then operate your system as a test before you install it all. My guess is that the network cable is low enough voltage that it will not interfere.

Your mic snake is balanced XLR, isn't it? That is designed to remove any interference that gets in the line.

RD

RawDepth said:
Try lying them together side-by-side on the floor and then operate your system as a test before you install it all. My guess is that the network cable is low enough voltage that it will not interfere.

Your mic snake is balanced XLR, isn't it? That is designed to remove any interference that gets in the line.

RD

yes the snake is balanced. thanks

brendandwyer said:
I should know this, but i don't.

Is there a risk of interference if i run a length of cat5e in the same conduit as my drum room snake?

Thanks!

I doubt it. Esp if you're using balanced XLRs. They have phase cancelation that in theory removes any noise picked up allong the length of the cable. I've never had problems with an ethernet cable interfering with anything, so as far as I know, you should be good.

Back