Equivalent Tape to 456?

M1Fanatic

Digital whaaa?
I had no idea that tape was so scarce now days. I've been on break for several years and come back to find a reel of 1/2" is selling for $75-$90??

What is generally accepted as the equivalent of Quantegy 456? I don't want to have to re-bias my machine. What do you all use?

RMG 911 is bias compatible with 456.

Quantagy stopped manufacturing 456 a few years ago as their sales were too slow to keep the factory viable. RMG, I believe, is a European company using the same formulations as BASF and seems to be a decently stable product.

Cheers! :)

Make sure you review the sticky shed thread if you plan to buy NOS tape. Also, Quantegy has been promising for about a year to start producing 456 499 and GP9, I think they are looking for an OEM or something.

Thanks for the information. I did read the sticky shed thread and looked up these other tapes on their websites, though I didn't see anything about an equivalency with the Quantegy 456.

I guess the 911 will be it then.

I've never had any problems with the Quantegy. I guess the tape I currently have was from a good lot. It's about 6-7 years old.

Thanks fellas.

Back