Equipment - YES Hooking it all togther?????

craigwojo

Need to set-up a home studio to feed my middle-age-crisis.
Here is the basics:

I am a guitarist with vocals capabilities. 33years exp.
Computer Pentium 4 - 2.8 GHz , 1gig RAM with firewire hookups.
M-Audio Firewire 410
Mackie CR1640
MidiVerb III
ProVerb
EQ - DOD R-830B
MOTU - MIDI express XT - serial input
Symetrix 501 Compressor/Limiter
Line6 - POD XT Live
Klipsch THX Speaker System.
Sonar 8.0 Producer
Roland SoundCanvas SC-88

Will be doing 90% of playing - mixing - producing myself. Sometimes have a couple of buddies over for fill-ins and such.

I haven't the slightest idea of where to start. Most of all my equipment is without manuals - I just used them live.
Any help would be absolutely appreciated.

Firstly - want to record guitar and or MIDI/Keyboard to Sonar through the M-Audio interface. How? What hookups go where and what settings for Sonar.:confused:

Thank you and God bless,
Craig

Need to set-up a home studio to feed my middle-age-crisis.
Here is the basics:

I am a guitarist with vocals capabilities. 33years exp.
Computer Pentium 4 - 2.8 GHz , 1gig RAM with firewire hookups.
M-Audio Firewire 410
Mackie CR1640
MidiVerb III
ProVerb
EQ - DOD R-830B
MOTU - MIDI express XT - serial input
Symetrix 501 Compressor/Limiter
Line6 - POD XT Live
Klipsch THX Speaker System.
Sonar 8.0 Producer
Roland SoundCanvas SC-88

Will be doing 90% of playing - mixing - producing myself. Sometimes have a couple of buddies over for fill-ins and such.

I haven't the slightest idea of where to start. Most of all my equipment is without manuals - I just used them live.
Any help would be absolutely appreciated.

Firstly - want to record guitar and or MIDI/Keyboard to Sonar through the M-Audio interface. How? What hookups go where and what settings for Sonar.:confused:

Thank you and God bless,
Craig

If you used them live, you know how to use them. You don't need to run processing until after you record, so keep your chain as simple as possible.

I'll bet most of those manuals are available online with some googlin'. rtfm

First off, immediately get a good beginner recording book (spend $20 before spending hundred$/thousand$) that shows you what you need to get started and how to hook everything up in your studio:
Home Recording for Musicians by Jeff Strong - $15
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/04...mp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=0470385421
(Wish I'd had that when I started; would have saved me lots of money and time and grief)
You can also pick up this book in most any Borders or Barnes&Noble in the Music Books section!

>>You will find that drawing a diagram from box to box of all the connections will help greatly.<<

Back