Equipment/software needed for drums?

jonn

Hi there, I'm just getting into home recording and want to know what sort of equipment i.e mixer/software/interface I would need to be able to record live drums (with 4 mics) and be able to send each individual track to a seperate tracks on my computer (i.e bass drum, snare OH left, OH right). I have a mixer which has 4 inputs and a usb interface which, when I record, sends everything onto one track.

Is it possibly to do this without spending alot of money?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Jon

x

Does the mixer have 4 analog outs, or just one analog stereo out (like most mixers)? Does it have a digital out, and if so, is it ADAT, S/PDIF, or something else? In the end, if you can't get 4 outputs (analog or digital) out of the mixer, then it won't be involved in the chain you want.

you can use the inserts on your mixer as direct outs by only pluging half way in the socket so that the send conductor (of the insert) is making contact with the tip of the 1/4" connector. So now you have 4 analog output channels. Then you need conversion to digital (your computer). Something cheap and commonly used for PCI is the Maudio delta 1010. You can find those fairly cheap now on the second hand market.

Back