Equipment heat

scorpio01169

I have a rather large studio set up in a really small room, just for a little while. I am recording a click track and guitar scratch tracks for for songs. but the heat generated from all the gear is more than that small room can handle. what are you guys doing for heat management?

Ahhhh....air-conditioning? :)

I have a rather involved studio rig with a lot of substantial heat-generating hardware (tape decks, console, rack gear)...and one of the first things I did was to run A/C into the studio. It would be impossible to work in the enduring summer months without it.
During the winter, it's not bad, and I can basically turn off the heat since the gear warms up the room.

With your "temp" situation....fans would be your only bet. Put one at the door to suck out the air from the studio room, preferably hung up high near the ceiling, since heat rises up. That will automatically pulling cooler air at floor level.
Of course, if the adjoining rooms are also hot or have mo A/C or you are dealing with the outside warm air....then you need A/C.

Can't you turn off whatever gear you're not using? recording scratch guitars doesn't take a whole lot of equipment to record.

Here in Florida, I run the AC really hard for a couple of hours then turn it off and go record.
Unless your place leaks like an old rowboat, the cool will stay in for hours.

Can't you turn off whatever gear you're not using? recording scratch guitars doesn't take a whole lot of equipment to record.
right now I'm only running half of my board but i have to run both recorders because one slaves to the other. yea the air conditioner here is weak, i will try fans to suck out the heat.

I ended up putting a "powered return" in over my main amp (that was 3750BTU by itself). Just an 8" insulated flex pipe with a fan box in the attic space -- Connected it to the main return for the furnace also. 3-way switch (although it's rarely ever on anything but "high"), does the job fairly well.

Fairly well...

Back