Equipment for basic recording (MX602a???)

fadedstar

Hell0 !

I want to record an electric guitar sound with my cpu. I have both Turtle Beach Montego II and SBLIVE soundcards and a SM57 mic. When I record with the mic plugged directly on the soundcard, i get a very-average sound.

I'm looking for a good preamp that will higher the quality of my recording. The Behringer MX602A looks interesting and it fits my low budget.

Is it gonna sound a lot more better if I add the Behringer to my configuration, even with an average soundcard like the SBLIVE?

Thanks for your advice. !!

-david

I have an MX802A and the preamps aren't too bad, and a small mixer certainly makes things >much< more convenient.

If you're looking for improved sound though, you might want to get a small tube preamp. I just picked up a Presonus BlueTube that has 2 channels of input and a nice warm sound for $150.

For recording the guitar you could also go to a Line6 POD or Johnson J-Station. I have a J-Station and like the sounds and you can edit them on your PC.

On my system, I have the J-Station going into one channel of my MX802A, my keyboard going into another, the BlueTube going into another and a DI box for my fretless bass into another. I don't have to spend time changing inputs or setting up equipment when I can just get to making music.

What is exactly the difference between the preamps included with the Behringer mixers and a tube preamp?

Giaschel, i'm planning to record mostly guitar and some bass too. I also like to record (hmmm..) any home-made-sound-effects I could imagine. I don't need a extremly high sound quality with this kind of sampling because most of the time, I edit them to an extreme so it's impossible to recognize the original sound.

Anyways, what is important for me now, is to find a way to record guitar and bass with a very acceptable sound quality without spending more than 150-200$ .

Any more advices?

thanks ! :D

-david

If only for your guitar and bass, a POD would do the job. It allows you to have many tones with your guitar sound and it will preamplify your signal. You can easily find one used for the price you're looking for.

If you want to use a mic too, a preamp (tube or not) will be more appropriate for all purposes.

Plugging your guitar directly into your soundcard will never give you a good result.

Check this!

Back