equing w/anylyzer

platinumcool

what eq for 100-200 bucks?

graphic eq, one or two channel

also, any eq with an anylyzer on it(to check what frequencies are being used?

dude, those eqs are friggin 4000, dude, im not a pro, and i aint gots the cash for that, and if i did, i would own my own studio.

no crud if i had that much money i would know what to buy, but i dont, so im asking wich is the best cheapest one. 100-200 bucks, no more, no less.

thats like if i asked whats a good economy car, and you told me to buy a bmw because it gets good gas milage.

thanks anyways.
peace.

Man, what an awesome site Bruce! I don't care if I can't afford one now, at least I know where to go to get the best when I can! Thanks!

That was probably Bruce's polite way of saying an EQ for $200 will sound like crap and is most likely a waste of money. If you want cheap EQ's look at Behringer. You will have a hard time finding a new one with a built in analyzer for that price.

help

what am i supposed to do if i dont have the cash? not buy any thing and not learn how to eq? i wasnt trying to be rude. no eq will sound even more like shit, right? that was my point.

go tell your 5 year old kid that he cant have a bike, until he can afford a 2000 dollar klien.

all i asked was for advice. obviously im not looking for the "best" im looking for the "best for the price", which happens to be between 100-200 for me.

obviously you guys are too good for that price. ill research my self, and ask someone on my own playing field. peace.

ps. im sure at some point you guys could only afford a cheap something or other. i really enjoy recording, and i love making music, im trying to learn and im trying to just start out and im asking experienced people for help; help needs to be practical in all cases or else it aint friggin help, its bullshit.

Re: help

platinumcool said:
obviously you guys are too good for that price. ill research my self, and ask someone on my own playing field. peace.

ps. im sure at some point you guys could only afford a cheap something or other. i really enjoy recording, and i love making music, im trying to learn and im trying to just start out and im asking experienced people for help; help needs to be practical in all cases or else it aint friggin help, its bullshit.
Man... I wasn't even being rude...!!!

Lose the attitude, buddy.... you'd KNOW if I was being rude to ya.......!

Dear Bruce, three things.

You know I love ya. :)

What *is* it about your vibe that gets on people's tits? I've noticed it many times before and I'm noticing it now and I'll notice it again - you manage to piss a lot of people off. I don't know what it is, exactly, but it happens. No fingers of blame. Just a phenomenon. Damn. :D

However, having said that, the man *did* say 100-200 dollars in his original post. Short post, easy to notice. And you referred him to Mercenary? C'mon...

Okay, everybody, I've stopped talking to Bruce, and now here's the public contest. First person who finds something for sale at Mercenary for between one and two hundred dollars gets a free copy of my next CD.

dobro said:

Okay, everybody, I've stopped talking to Bruce, and now here's the public contest. First person who finds something for sale at Mercenary for between one and two hundred dollars gets a free copy of my next CD.
FMR Audio RNC... $175.......... !!!

Contact me via email and I'll give you my mailing address!

:D :D

Bruce

Platinum- I would use no EQ rather then go through a cheap one. So yes, save your money or apply it somewhere else in your studio that will give you more value.

I use the EQ channels on my mixer but I would never purchase any cheap external EQ for studio use.

With proper mic placement the only EQ that should be neccessary is a little bass cut and maybe a slight boost/cut here or there for presence or to pull back a harsh feq spike.

Are you using a mixer or a DAW with EQ on it?

It didn't seem like anybody was being rude but I dont have a pussy ;)

(That was a joke. A rude joke, but I meant no actual insult or injury and hope that the statement was taken in the proper context and as always my advice is meant for entertainment purposes only and I am not liable for any wrong purchases made due to the defensive nature of some poeple who insist on buying cheap gear.)

I would suggest a DOD SR231QXLR and a software real time analyzer, or just rent a scope. That EQ is $188.17, but it lists at around 3 or 400 hundred.

Also, dont listen to Bruce. He thinks he's not snobby, but he's doing the same thing I was doing! And he called me a snob. I wasn't even going as extreme as he was!!!

tyler657recpro said:
...but he's doing the same thing I was doing...
There is a huge difference between you and I.... I happen to know what I'm talking about, while you haven't even begun to grow ears yet.....!

TexRoadkill,

right now im on my computer, hooking up my triton and vocals to my sound card. mic to mixer(mic amp) to computer. i can pretty much get most of my sounds the way i like them straight outa the keyboard, no mic on keyboard.

however, i do vocals over my tracks, and acassionally i do some live guitar and mandalin so i do need a mic. i plan on investing on a daw, i had a cheap zoom mrs-4, i 30 day trialed it, i actually got a few banging tracks out of it, but it was just to much a pain(a hassle, smartmedia, file converstion, sample rate, mixing with it, etc.) but my success with that was due to my good sounds out of my triton, so i went back to the computer. ive been using my friends, he has an audiophile soundcard, and sonar xl, pentium 3, windowxp).

i do plan on purchasing an 8 track, or maybe 16 in the furture, i like the hardware better. i initially used an old eq/mixer thing i had for shaping some of the sounds that came out of my keyboard, (the drums, adding some ruffness to them, actually going for that cheaper fuzz to them, hiphop thing) i like to do this alot, to get my sound, this is my main interest in a decent eq.

so its not worth going cheap with an eq?

i do want one anyways to shape some sounds and better mix my kick drums and bass, using it for sampling too, but

i was looking for a better one since i wanted to start improving my sounds on the guitar.

what would you suggest for adding body to my guitar? ive had very little success with the guitar, so ive left it out mostly, but i figured a decent eq, would help; i also get alot of hiss, so i wanted something to rid of it.

what about a plugin for sonar?

if its strictly mic placement, where is a good start, or a good post about this? my mic does work well with vocals.

i like clean blues guitar, bb king style, no distortion, no hiss.

please give me some suggestions about the guitar thing.

also, not on the subject, how do plug adapters effect sound quality? personally i hate adapters, but working with computers, and so much gear sometimes they are inevitable.

peace

dobro said:

What *is* it about your vibe that gets on people's tits? I've noticed it many times before and I'm noticing it now and I'll notice it again - you manage to piss a lot of people off.

brussel-mannekenpis.jpg

:D

dobro said:
What *is* it about your vibe that gets on people's tits? I've noticed it many times before and I'm noticing it now and I'll notice it again - you manage to piss a lot of people off. I don't know what it is, exactly, but it happens. No fingers of blame. Just a phenomenon. Damn. :D
I think generally, the people that seem to get pissed the most are the ones who lack confidence in their own abilities and overcompensate by becoming defensive at having their "limitations" challenged....

There are many transient posters at this BBS who post crap just to validate their own skills or even gear purchases and are severely disappointed when told the opposite of what they held to be "the truth." When they're called on their nonsense, they usually run with their tail between their legs.... and we don't see them anymore...

It doesn't matter -- I will continue to post as I post and let people who have a problem with it deal with it themselves......... they'll either learn something from my posts and eventually realize, "hey, that dude was right...", or they learn nothing and continue blundering about!!

;)

Bruce

Last edited:
Back